Author Topic: A powerful 'X-class' solar flare just hit Earth. Forecasters are bracing for more sun activity in th  (Read 164 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A powerful 'X-class' solar flare just hit Earth. Forecasters are bracing for more sun activity in the coming days.
Story by mmcfalljohnsen@insider.com (Morgan McFall-Johnsen) • Yesterday 2:01 PM

The sun blasted Earth with a powerful X-class solar flare on Tuesday, causing radio blackouts.

Three more moderate solar flares followed, and we could see more eruptions in the coming days.
The sun has already produced more X flares in 2023 than 2022, as it's ramping up to peak activity.
13 times solar storms caused freak events on Earth, from detonating mines to crashing financial markets

13 times solar storms caused freak events on Earth, from detonating mines to crashing financial markets

The sun is about to get more active, and it's likely to send more solar storms our way.

When it does, charged particles and radiation barrel toward Earth, causing bizarre events.
Here are 13 of the weirdest things that happened on Earth likely caused by solar eruptions.
The sun is a huge ball of molten plasma, buzzing with magnetic fields that ebb and flow at its surface.

Every so often, those fields collide, creating a massive explosion that spews charged sub-atomic particles into space that carry with them the potential to disrupt electric fields and cause radiation exposure.

As these particles barrel through space, they can run into Earth. Our sun is nearing its next peak of activity, and with it, more solar storms are likely to come our way. We look back at the 13 weirdest things likely or definitely caused by solar storms that have happened on our planet.

A powerful solar flare flashed at Earth on Tuesday, sending an eruption of X-ray and ultraviolet radiation to our planet at the speed of light.

It was an "X-class" flare — the most powerful kind — and it caused a radio blackout for about one hour on the day side of Earth, in parts of southeast Asia, Australia, and New Zealand.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/a-powerful-x-class-solar-flare-just-hit-earth-forecasters-are-bracing-for-more-sun-activity-in-the-coming-days/ar-AA19hv4Y?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2c9cfbaa4cbc49bc9c4175fd248b8dbf&ei=18
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Will eco-terrorists claim "global warming" acts as a magnet to solar flares? *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson