Author Topic: Egg company sees 718% profit surge as prices soar  (Read 2090 times)

Offline corbe

Egg company sees 718% profit surge as prices soar
« on: March 30, 2023, 01:54:05 am »
Egg company sees 718% profit surge as prices soar

by Samuel Schaffer, Associate News Editor |
March 29, 2023 09:20 PM

The largest egg producer in the United States, Cal-Maine Foods, reported more than doubled revenue and a 718% surge in profits last quarter as egg prices soar.

Reuters reported that the company controls 20% of the U.S. egg market, according to CNN. Cal-Maine’s average price for a dozen eggs in the first quarter of 2022 was $1.61. A year later, that price jumped to $3.30 in the quarter ending on Feb. 25.

The company also sold 1% more eggs than it did a year ago, so its revenue more than doubled to $997.5 million.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/egg-company-sees-718-profit-surge-as-prices-soar
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: Egg company sees 718% profit surge as prices soar
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 03:26:05 am »
Getting some chickens here in a few weeks... what do I expect... probable some stray dog will get him a live chicken dinner and I will have egg on my face.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 05:52:48 am »
Getting some chickens here in a few weeks... what do I expect... probable some stray dog will get him a live chicken dinner and I will have egg on my face.

Can't do a coop and a run?
Look into a chicken tractor or a chickshaw.
A chicken tractor would be easiest to make and move... A chickshaw is easy to move, but more complicated, and requires a portable electric net.

Either very effective against dogs, and keeps the chickens on fresh ground (you move them every few days)

Online Sighlass

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 07:43:07 am »
Can't do a coop and a run?
Look into a chicken tractor or a chickshaw.
A chicken tractor would be easiest to make and move... A chickshaw is easy to move, but more complicated, and requires a portable electric net.

Either very effective against dogs, and keeps the chickens on fresh ground (you move them every few days)

@roamer_1

I have an big old Trampoline across the street and thinking about wrapping it for a pen.... It is light enough the boy and me can move it when needed. It was something the wife wanted to try anyhoo, I ain't exactly sold on the idea, but I do like eggs.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 07:44:44 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 11:37:09 am »
@roamer_1

I have an big old Trampoline across the street and thinking about wrapping it for a pen.... It is light enough the boy and me can move it when needed. It was something the wife wanted to try anyhoo, I ain't exactly sold on the idea, but I do like eggs.

@Sighlass

Seems like a lot money spent and work to save 2 bucks a week on eggs. Have you stopped to consider how little  of ANYTHING 2 bucks buys  you these days?

And that is not even considering having to gather and wash the eggs every day. How much  is  your time worth?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 12:26:47 pm »
@Sighlass

Seems like a lot money spent and work to save 2 bucks a week on eggs. Have you stopped to consider how little  of ANYTHING 2 bucks buys  you these days?

And that is not even considering having to gather and wash the eggs every day. How much  is  your time worth?

My wife used to raise chickens and the feed was pricey then. I imagine it’s worse now

Plus, if you want them producing all year, you need a warming light of some kind for winter to fool the hens in thinking it’s still laying season
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 01:20:03 pm »
Cue Bernie S. & Liz W.: "It's time we put an end to price gouging by Big Egg!! We hereby propose new taxes on these outrageous profits, with all funds going to help the Farm Workers union organize these poultry sweat shops!"
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 01:23:40 pm »
Cue Bernie S. & Liz W.: "It's time we put an end to price gouging by Big Egg!! We hereby propose new taxes on these outrageous profits, with all funds going to help the Farm Workers union organize these poultry sweat shops!"

Exactly.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 05:55:49 pm »
So when do we start protesting Big Egg?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 06:18:29 pm »

Good Utubes videos on raising yardbirds and building secure coops. They'll give you a good lay of the land.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 07:24:20 pm »
Buying local eggs around here is much cheaper.  They come in an open flat though and you have to buy 3 or 4 dozen at a time -- we just don't eat that many eggs .... and getting the open flat home without breaking any eggs would be tricky.  So, I've been paying the higher prices.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 08:09:06 pm »
@roamer_1

I reckon that will do... Depends on how many chickens.

We do both tractors and coop.
Our tractors are something like 4x10 I suppose, built mostly of 2x2 sticks, with tin on about 1/3rd of the walls and 2/3rd of the top - though corrugated plastic would be lighter... 1 decent feller can move em fine... once a day through the summer... twice in the spring and fall when the grass is weaker. Something like that, for household chickens, 5 to 10 of em, say, would be plenty. You'd have to add lay boxes, maybe on the top or off the end, but plenty good enough. And cheap and easy to make out of 2x2s roofing tin and 1/2" hardware cloth.

Jussayin.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 08:23:51 pm »
@Sighlass

@sneakypete

Nope and nope.

Farm fresh eggs are not the same thing as what you get from the store. So the money don't even matter. And you are forgetting the stew pot, which is the other side of raising birds... They change out about every two years, and the graduates go to freezer camp.

I have a freezer full of 4 lb chickens that are basically a secondary output of raising hens... That ain't altogether right or fair to say, because we intentionally raise meat birds too... But it remains that retired hens and hatched roosters are a part of that.

And you don't wash eggs if you can help it. They keep a long time at room temperature if you don't wash em. If they are clean, leave em be. If they are dirty you have to wash em, and then they have to go in the fridge. And you eat those first.

but if your eggs are always poopy, you ain't doing it right.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 08:32:01 pm »
Buying local eggs around here is much cheaper.  They come in an open flat though and you have to buy 3 or 4 dozen at a time -- we just don't eat that many eggs .... and getting the open flat home without breaking any eggs would be tricky.  So, I've been paying the higher prices.

They come up here from the ranch 4 dozen at a time... I keep em in the fridge, but they keep fine... And I mostly only eat 2 or 3 for breakfast a day...

As for keeping em, I save cartons. So just transfer from the flat to the cartons. And then they stack in the footprint of one carton, which is nicer on critical refrigerator real estate.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2023, 08:34:38 pm »
@sneakypete

Nope and nope.

Farm fresh eggs are not the same thing as what you get from the store. So the money don't even matter. And you are forgetting the stew pot, which is the other side of raising birds... They change out about every two years, and the graduates go to freezer camp.

I have a freezer full of 4 lb chickens that are basically a secondary output of raising hens... That ain't altogether right or fair to say, because we intentionally raise meat birds too... But it remains that retired hens and hatched roosters are a part of that.

And you don't wash eggs if you can help it. They keep a long time at room temperature if you don't wash em. If they are clean, leave em be. If they are dirty you have to wash em, and then they have to go in the fridge. And you eat those first.

but if your eggs are always poopy, you ain't doing it right.

The community tried to get the city ordinance changed so we could have chickens -- unfortunately no such luck. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 08:36:41 pm »
Here’s a chicken story from my youth. We had a “clucking” hen that lived for hatching her own brood. With one brood, she kept rejecting an egg from the nest. I candled the egg and could see that it was viable. So, I placed it in my homemade incubator (still have it!). When the chick emerged from the egg, it only had one leg. The wonders of nature.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 08:37:20 pm »
They come up here from the ranch 4 dozen at a time... I keep em in the fridge, but they keep fine... And I mostly only eat 2 or 3 for breakfast a day...

As for keeping em, I save cartons. So just transfer from the flat to the cartons. And then they stack in the footprint of one carton, which is nicer on critical refrigerator real estate.

Good grief I should have thought of that -- save the darn cartons. Thanks @roamer_1  :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2023, 08:52:21 pm »
The community tried to get the city ordinance changed so we could have chickens -- unfortunately no such luck.

Sorry for you.  :shrug:

I can't live like that. And I won't.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 08:54:38 pm »
Here’s a chicken story from my youth. We had a “clucking” hen that lived for hatching her own brood. With one brood, she kept rejecting an egg from the nest. I candled the egg and could see that it was viable. So, I placed it in my homemade incubator (still have it!). When the chick emerged from the egg, it only had one leg. The wonders of nature.

Ain't it?

Same with a bitch eating her pups.
Yeah it's gross, and seems wrong...
but usually there is a reason.
 :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 08:58:07 pm »
Good grief I should have thought of that -- save the darn cartons. Thanks @roamer_1  :beer:

:seeya:

Second nature here... because of egg sales. We never have enough cartons. I buy store eggs for boiling, so saving the cartons for the egg sales just became second nature. Not so much now... we just buy cartons.

Online Sighlass

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2023, 05:09:36 am »

I remember a Poultry Science class I took years ago... an egg will keep durn near a year... and quite a long time without refrigeration. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2023, 05:55:53 am »
I remember a Poultry Science class I took years ago... an egg will keep durn near a year... and quite a long time without refrigeration.

Yep. IF they are not washed they last a dang long time.
Same goes for glassing eggs, to keep em even longer, which also only works if they are unwashed.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2023, 06:22:59 am »
Misleading title.  718% increase as a benchmark can be highly skewed as far as statistically what is going on in real life.

I own zero of this stock, but here are some of the financial details.....

Cal-Maine Foods Ticker Symbol (CALM) on NASDAQ

Market Cap - $3.18 B
EPS - $9.51/sh

Yield- $3.08/sh. or 5.67%. This is hardly price gouging or profiteering.   Hell....short term treasuries have beeb  yielding 3.5 - 4%.

When a company a year earlier is barely breaking even a year earlier 718% (or pennies per share a year ago) this is irrepsonsible financial reporting of the worst kind.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 06:25:13 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2023, 07:49:44 am »
Yeah... I kinda figgered as much.

I was looking at it like their gross went way up, but the article didn't say a dang thing about expenses, labor,  and interest, which also have skyrocketed. And whatever profit they got is in inflated dollars too.

Mean ol chicken farmers...

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2023, 12:31:23 pm »
Yeah... I kinda figgered as much.

I was looking at it like their gross went way up, but the article didn't say a dang thing about expenses, labor,  and interest, which also have skyrocketed. And whatever profit they got is in inflated dollars too.

Mean ol chicken farmers...

And they just pay the birds chicken feed.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck