Author Topic: Daniel Perry found GUILTY of murder for shooting man who pointed rifle at him during Austin BLM riot  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Post Millennial 3/28/2023

Murder trial to begin in Austin for Army sergeant who claimed to shoot BLM protestor in self-defense in 2020

The murder trial for an Army sergeant who shot and killed a protester during riots that rocked the US in the summer of 2020 began on Monday in Austin, Texas.

During the BLM riots and protests that broke out across the US and in the Texas state capitol in the wake of the death of George Floyd, Sgt. Daniel Perry, was stationed at Fort Hood. Video from that night shows the sequence of events, with Perry's car being stopped by protestors in the street.

According to police, the night of July 25, 2020, Perry was driving for Uber in downtown Austin to make extra money and came across a large group of protesters illegally blocking city streets as was common in Austin and elsewhere during the weeks of rioting.

Perry's defense team alleges that the protesters encircled his car and began pounding on his vehicle. Among the protestors was 28-year-old Garrett Foster, who was armed with an AK-47.

According to Perry, Foster raised the firearm at him, prompting him to open fire with a handgun he legally carried for self-defense. Attorney for Perry Doug O’Connell told Fox News, "When Garrett Foster pointed his AK-47 at Daniel Perry, Daniel had two tenths of a second to defend himself. He chose to live."

More: https://thepostmillennial.com/murder-trial-to-begin-in-austin-for-army-sergeant-who-claimed-to-shoot-blm-protestor-in-self-defense-in-2020?cfp

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Daniel Perry found GUILTY of murder for shooting man who pointed rifle at him during Austin BLM riot
The Post Millennial, Apr 7, 2023

On Friday, a jury found Daniel Perry guilty of murder for the shooting of Garrett Foster during a 2020 Black Lives Matter protest.

Perry, a former Army sergeant who was driving Uber at the time, encountered an armed BLM group that had taken over the streets of Austin, Texas during a riot on July 25, 2020. According to KXAN, Perry faced one count of murder and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The jury did not find him guilty of the second charge.

Austin Police Department’s description of the incident stated that a car turned onto Congress Avenue near 4th Street at 9:51 pm. Protestors who were marching in the area surrounded the car, and Foster, who was part of the group, was armed with a rifle.

“I made a wrong turn, a guy pointed a freakin weapon at me and I panicked. I don’t know what to do. I’m just an Uber driver. I made a wrong turn; I’ve never had to shoot someone before. They started shooting back at me, and I got out of the area,” Perry told a 911 operator that night.

Former Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said that the driver, who was later identified as Perry, fired five shots from inside of his vehicle, hitting Foster. Foster did not fire a shot. Another member of the group fired three shots at the vehicle, but did not hit anyone.

Both Perry and the other shooter were detained following the incident.

Perry’s defense team said during opening statements on March 28 that Perry had to defend himself when he was swarmed by the group. Perry came into contact with the protesters after traveling from Killeen to Austin during an Uber, trip, which he did for supplemental income.

The defense said that Perry did everything he could to avoid the protestors as he dropped off one of his riders downtown, and that he was fully cooperative with police, giving over his phone and providing social media passwords immediately without a warrant.

State prosecutors said that Foster was a frequent BLM protester and had been out protesting nearly every day that summer, which saw riots spread across the country.

The state argued that Perry had sped into the crowd of protestors, but an expert witness for the defense called the allegation into question, using data and science to track the speed of the car which he said was slowing down when he approached the crowd.

More:
https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-daniel-perry-found-guilty-of-murder

Jack Posobiec
@JackPosobiec

I went to check the Texas GOP Chairman's TL this morning and he called for Daniel Perry's pardon, outstanding!

Matt Rinaldi
@MattRinaldiTX
·16h

This case should have never been prosecuted. A pardon by @GregAbbott_TX is in order. twitter.com/thetexannews/s…

9:32 AM · Apr 8, 2023

"BREAKING: Tucker just reported @GregAbbott_TX refused to come on the show to discuss Daniel Perry" (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1644512971786158080

Greg Price
@greg_price11

Daniel Perry was working as an Uber driver in Austin, TX when he found himself in the middle of a BLM mob.

A guy came up to his car and pointed an AK-47 at him and he fired back in self defense. 

He was indicted for murder by a Soros-funded DA and was just found guilty.

7:07 PM · Apr 7, 2023

« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 03:04:30 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline mountaineer

Jack Poso 🇺🇸
@JackPosobiec
BREAKING: THE SOROS DA MADE THE LEAD DETECTIVE REMOVE 102 PAGES OF EVIDENCE HE PLANNED TO PRESENT TO THE GRAND JURY

https://twitter.com/MarinaMedvin/status/1644675611707711489
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Withholding Brady Material.

It's what Democrats do.

It's also grossly unConstitutional.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

It's what Democrats do.

:thumbsup:

Offline LMAO

It is no exaggeration to say groups like Antifa and BLM are the secret army of the left

They do the illegal acts and the politicians and DAs take care of the rest from the “legal” end

But, what the hell was the jury thinking? I believe, despite the overwhelming evidence clearing him, that if Officer Wilson shot Micheal Brown today, he would be found guilty

The best course of action for good people to take in the meantime is to simply avoid these inner cities if possible. Let them rot of their own weight
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 04:55:16 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Hoodat

Jack Poso 🇺🇸
@JackPosobiec
BREAKING: THE SOROS DA MADE THE LEAD DETECTIVE REMOVE 102 PAGES OF EVIDENCE HE PLANNED TO PRESENT TO THE GRAND JURY

That is grounds for disbarment.  Take away his law license and force him to earn a living at Starbucks.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

It's what Democrats do.

Since when have Democrats cared about what the Constitution says?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Marina Medvin
@MarinaMedvin

Daniel Perry case -- read the affidavit from the lead detective, claiming that the Soros DA directed him "to remove exculpatory information that I had intended to present to the grand jury during my testimony."

This detective believes the Soros DA acted criminally.

8:16 AM · Apr 8, 2023

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army sergeant convicted of murder; says he shot in self-defense after man aimed AK-47 at him during BLM riot

NEWS
MICHELE BLOOD
April 08, 2023

A Texas jury found Daniel Perry guilty of murder Friday in the 2020 death of Garrett Foster, multiple outlets reported.

"The protesters didn't know anything about Perry when they attacked the car and boxed it in," Perry's attorney Doug O'Connell said, as reported by the Austin American Statesman.

"Daniel had no choice, and that could have happened to anyone," O'Connell also said.

"We're happy with the verdict. We're very sorry for his family as well. There's no winners in this. Just glad it's over," Foster's father, Stephen Foster told KVUE.

According to the defense, Perry shot Foster in self-defense when his car was surrounded and attacked by protesters and Foster reportedly aimed an AK-47 at him in the "ready position."

Army sergeant convicted of murder; says he shot in self-defense after man aimed AK-47 at him during BLM riot
Would you be willing to fight and die for multiculturalism?  Would you put your life on the line for “Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity” (DIE); “Environmental, Social, and corporate Governance” (ESG); or other Marxist worldviews?  Would you go to war to preserve the right of delusional men to use women’s restrooms and dominate women’s sports?  Would you fight for any government that hunts down and imprisons J6 protesters as political hostages but celebrates Antifa and Black Lives Matter rioters who cause physical injury and property damage?

J.B. Shurk

Offline MOD7

• don't always see the Light but I feel the heat

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Texas AG Paxton slams 'Soros-backed' prosecutor after jury convicts Army sergeant for shooting protester

Texas AG Paxton slams 'Soros-backed' prosecutor after jury convicts Army sergeant for shooting protester
Kyle Morris

FIRST ON FOX: Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is lashing out at a "Soros-backed" prosecutor after a Lone Star State jury found Daniel Perry, a U.S. Army sergeant, guilty in the shooting death of an armed protester in Austin during anti-police demonstrations in the summer of 2020.

"Self-defense is a God-given right, not a crime. Unfortunately, the Soros-backed DA in Travis County cares more about the radical agenda of dangerous Antifa and BLM mobs than justice," Paxton said in a statement to Fox News Digital.

"This week has shown us how rogue prosecutors have weaponized the judicial system," he added. "They must be stopped!"

Paxton's comments blaming Travis County DA José Garza come after a Texas jury deliberated for two days and ultimately ruled against Perry in the fatal shooting.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas-ag-paxton-slams-soros-backed-prosecutor-after-jury-convicts-army-sergeant-shooting-protester
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

I'd be very, very, very concerned at the capricious and deliberate withholding of Brady Material at the prosecution's request. This amounts to a conspiracy to deprive the accused of a fundamental Civil Right. It is actionable under US law, criminally and civilly.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
BREAKING: Greg Abbott Announces He Will Pardon Daniel Perry After Murder Conviction
Paul Aubert

Moments ago, Texas Governor Greg Abbott announced he will work to pardon the former Army Sergeant Daniel Perry, who was convicted of murdering a BLM protestor during the 2020 riots.

“I am working as swiftly as Texas law allows regarding the pardon of Sgt. Perry,” Gov. Abbott announced in a tweet posted Saturday.

His tweet contained a statement that explained how the Texas Constitution allows the Governor to issue a pardon if it is recommended or approved by the Board of Pardons and Paroles.

The Republican governor is waiting for his pardon request to be approved.

The full statement reads:

Texas has one of the strongest “Stand Your Ground” laws of self-defense that cannot be nullified by a jury or a progressive District Attorney.

Unlike the President or some other states, the Texas Constitution limits the Governor’s pardon authority to only act on a recommendation by the Board of Pardons and Paroles. Texas law DOES allow the Governor to request the Board of Pardons and Paroles to determine if a person should be granted a pardon. I have made that request and instructed the Board to expedite its review.

I look forward to approving the Board’s pardon recommendation as soon as it hits my desk. Additionally, I have already prioritized reining in rogue District Attorneys, and the Texas Legislature is working on laws to achieve that goal.

more
https://trendingpoliticsnews.com/breaking-greg-abbott-announces-he-will-pardon-daniel-perry-after-murder-conviction-paub/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

It doesn't need a pardon.
It needs an appeal.

This needs to be defeated.

Offline Smokin Joe

It doesn't need a pardon.
It needs an appeal.

This needs to be defeated.
What needs to happen is DAs need to quit suppressing Brady Material.

That is a separate case, because of the way it was done (a conspiracy).

18 U.S. Code § 241 - Conspiracy against rights,in this case, denying the defendant due process by suppressing Brady Material.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 09:02:44 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Does suppression of Brady material give rise to a §1983 action for deprivation of constitutional rights?

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Hiding excupatory evidence is what got Mike Nifong thrown in jail, correct?

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
BREAKING: Greg Abbott Announces He Will Pardon Daniel Perry After Murder Conviction
Paul Aubert

Moments ago, Texas Governor Greg Abbott announced he will work to pardon the former Army Sergeant Daniel Perry, who was convicted of murdering a BLM protestor during the 2020 riots.

“I am working as swiftly as Texas law allows regarding the pardon of Sgt. Perry,” Gov. Abbott announced in a tweet posted Saturday.

His tweet contained a statement that explained how the Texas Constitution allows the Governor to issue a pardon if it is recommended or approved by the Board of Pardons and Paroles.

The Republican governor is waiting for his pardon request to be approved.

The full statement reads:

more
https://trendingpoliticsnews.com/breaking-greg-abbott-announces-he-will-pardon-daniel-perry-after-murder-conviction-paub/

Good, and if the board fails, it too can be stripped of power.

Offline roamer_1

What needs to happen is DAs need to quit suppressing Brady Material.

That is a separate case, because of the way it was done (a conspiracy).

18 U.S. Code § 241 - Conspiracy against rights,in this case, denying the defendant due process by suppressing Brady Material.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241

Sure, but that, found on appeal, automatically kicks the case on merits - Defeat. not pardon. THEN go after the DA all you want.

Offline roamer_1

All I know is that if someone is pointing a rifle at me, with far less circumstance as this case, I would be pulling the trigger first too.