State Chapters > Texas

Daniel Perry found GUILTY of murder for shooting man who pointed rifle at him during Austin BLM riot

(1/18) > >>

Elderberry:
The Post Millennial 3/28/2023

Murder trial to begin in Austin for Army sergeant who claimed to shoot BLM protestor in self-defense in 2020

The murder trial for an Army sergeant who shot and killed a protester during riots that rocked the US in the summer of 2020 began on Monday in Austin, Texas.

During the BLM riots and protests that broke out across the US and in the Texas state capitol in the wake of the death of George Floyd, Sgt. Daniel Perry, was stationed at Fort Hood. Video from that night shows the sequence of events, with Perry's car being stopped by protestors in the street.

According to police, the night of July 25, 2020, Perry was driving for Uber in downtown Austin to make extra money and came across a large group of protesters illegally blocking city streets as was common in Austin and elsewhere during the weeks of rioting.

Perry's defense team alleges that the protesters encircled his car and began pounding on his vehicle. Among the protestors was 28-year-old Garrett Foster, who was armed with an AK-47.

According to Perry, Foster raised the firearm at him, prompting him to open fire with a handgun he legally carried for self-defense. Attorney for Perry Doug O’Connell told Fox News, "When Garrett Foster pointed his AK-47 at Daniel Perry, Daniel had two tenths of a second to defend himself. He chose to live."

More: https://thepostmillennial.com/murder-trial-to-begin-in-austin-for-army-sergeant-who-claimed-to-shoot-blm-protestor-in-self-defense-in-2020?cfp

Right_in_Virginia:
Daniel Perry found GUILTY of murder for shooting man who pointed rifle at him during Austin BLM riot
The Post Millennial, Apr 7, 2023

On Friday, a jury found Daniel Perry guilty of murder for the shooting of Garrett Foster during a 2020 Black Lives Matter protest.

Perry, a former Army sergeant who was driving Uber at the time, encountered an armed BLM group that had taken over the streets of Austin, Texas during a riot on July 25, 2020. According to KXAN, Perry faced one count of murder and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The jury did not find him guilty of the second charge.

Austin Police Department’s description of the incident stated that a car turned onto Congress Avenue near 4th Street at 9:51 pm. Protestors who were marching in the area surrounded the car, and Foster, who was part of the group, was armed with a rifle.

“I made a wrong turn, a guy pointed a freakin weapon at me and I panicked. I don’t know what to do. I’m just an Uber driver. I made a wrong turn; I’ve never had to shoot someone before. They started shooting back at me, and I got out of the area,” Perry told a 911 operator that night.

Former Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said that the driver, who was later identified as Perry, fired five shots from inside of his vehicle, hitting Foster. Foster did not fire a shot. Another member of the group fired three shots at the vehicle, but did not hit anyone.

Both Perry and the other shooter were detained following the incident.

Perry’s defense team said during opening statements on March 28 that Perry had to defend himself when he was swarmed by the group. Perry came into contact with the protesters after traveling from Killeen to Austin during an Uber, trip, which he did for supplemental income.

The defense said that Perry did everything he could to avoid the protestors as he dropped off one of his riders downtown, and that he was fully cooperative with police, giving over his phone and providing social media passwords immediately without a warrant.

State prosecutors said that Foster was a frequent BLM protester and had been out protesting nearly every day that summer, which saw riots spread across the country.

The state argued that Perry had sped into the crowd of protestors, but an expert witness for the defense called the allegation into question, using data and science to track the speed of the car which he said was slowing down when he approached the crowd.

More:
https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-daniel-perry-found-guilty-of-murder

Right_in_Virginia:
Jack Posobiec
@JackPosobiec

I went to check the Texas GOP Chairman's TL this morning and he called for Daniel Perry's pardon, outstanding!

--- Quote ---Matt Rinaldi
@MattRinaldiTX
·16h

This case should have never been prosecuted. A pardon by @GregAbbott_TX is in order. twitter.com/thetexannews/s…

--- End quote ---

9:32 AM · Apr 8, 2023

Right_in_Virginia:
"BREAKING: Tucker just reported @GregAbbott_TX refused to come on the show to discuss Daniel Perry" (Video)

--- End quote ---

https://mobile.twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1644512971786158080

Right_in_Virginia:
Greg Price
@greg_price11

Daniel Perry was working as an Uber driver in Austin, TX when he found himself in the middle of a BLM mob.

A guy came up to his car and pointed an AK-47 at him and he fired back in self defense. 

He was indicted for murder by a Soros-funded DA and was just found guilty.

7:07 PM · Apr 7, 2023

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version