Author Topic: Perspective: War with the Cartels Is More Complicated Than It Sounds  (Read 230 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Thu, 03/23/2023 - 4:40pm
Perspective: War with the Cartels Is More Complicated Than It Sounds

Michael L. Burgoyne and Albert J. Marckwardt

Without a hint of reflection on the dismal strategic outcomes of the twenty-year debacle in Afghanistan and the ongoing investment in Iraq, there is a growing movement to authorize the use of military force against Mexican cartels.[1] Carl Von Clausewitz famously admonishes that “the first, the supreme, the most far-reaching act of judgement that the statesman and commander have to make is to establish by that test the kind of war on which they are embarking.”[2] The United States would be wise to heed this warning. The use of US military force could result in the disarticulation of targeted cartels; however, it will not reduce the flow of illicit drugs, including fentanyl. Worse still, the unilateral use of U.S. military power in Mexico risks another unrestrained military adventure and severe damage to bilateral relations with the number two U.S. trading partner.[3]

Good strategy must clearly articulate its objective and then develop a resource informed plan to achieve it. Military support or action can dismantle transnational criminal organizations. This can be extremely valuable when these groups are a direct threat to the state—as was the case with the Medellin and Cali Cartels. However, advocates for the use of force in Mexico argue that unleashing the US military on the cartels will stop the flow of fentanyl and reduce the number of overdoses. At a cost of $10 billion, Plan Colombia was critical in increasing stability, but as a counterdrug strategy it didn’t make a dent.[4] In fact, cocaine production is at record levels, exceeding 900 tons a year.[5] A decade ago, an all-out war was waged by Mexican security forces against Los Zetas. That cartel never recovered, but drug trafficking didn’t skip a beat, and new cartels emerged to fill the void. If the US objective is to reduce drug overdoses, the use of military force will not achieve this goal.

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/perspective-war-cartels-more-complicated-it-sounds
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Perspective: War with the Cartels Is More Complicated Than It Sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 05:25:01 pm »
If what I have seen on TV, media, and books on the problems with dealing with the Cartels, is that our tools to deal with them have to be confined to "the rules".

And we know what rules they play by.    To beat these suckers, we will need extreme Paul Kersey tactics. And considering what Fentanyl has done to our population,  who says I am not wrong or just on this position.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 05:25:59 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 05:37:21 pm »
Crazy as this sounds, why don't we take a run at securing our borders even if we use our troops to do it?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 05:39:55 pm »
Cartels are multi-national contraband business institutions.

CIA contractors would be a better fit inside Mexico than the US military.  The CIA would be more adept at conducting clandestine operations amonst the Mexican civilian population.

The US military is not a solution for civil conflicts, as demonstrated in Lebanon, Haiti, Afghanistan, Somalia, Yugoslavia, Iraq, and Vietnam.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 09:35:08 pm »
"Perspective: War with the Cartels Is More Complicated Than It Sounds"

How about this:
Identify them
Capture them
Line them up
Shoot them
Repeat