Author Topic: A Marine faces charges in a fatal rollover. But is the Corps to blame?  (Read 73 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Marine faces charges in a fatal rollover. But is the Corps to blame?
By Hope Hodge Seck
 Mar 27, 04:21 PM

In this image taken from video, authorities work at the scene of a fatal crash after a military truck overturned, Jan. 19, 2022, near Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. (WITN via AP)
As court-martial proceedings begin for the Marine behind the wheel in a fatal vehicle rollover that took place outside Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, in 2022, he’ll be getting support inside the courtroom from an unlikely source: several of the parents of Marines killed and hurt in the tragedy.

Lance Cpl. Luis Ponce-Barrera, 20, faces charges of manslaughter and reckless operation of a vehicle in the January 2022 rollover of a medium tactical vehicle replacement, or 7-ton truck, that he’d been driving to a landing zone on base.

The 19 Marines in the back were ejected. One, 18-year-old Pfc. Zachary Riffle, was fatally crushed by the truck, and another, 19-year-old Lance Cpl. Jonathan Gierke, was hit and killed in the traffic median by a following joint light tactical vehicle that couldn’t stop in time. All the other troops were injured, some critically.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/03/27/a-marine-faces-charges-in-a-fatal-rollover-but-is-the-corps-to-blame/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson