General Category > Elections 2024

Trump calls for contest to create futuristic ‘Freedom Cities’

(1/22) > >>

Maj. Bill Martin:
So I've seen this raised a couple of times by @catfish1957 , and hadn't heard it myself, so I did some digging and sure enough, Trump is proposing some absolutely massive government proposals to achieve a "quantum leap in the American standard of living."  There's an article and then the actual video of Trump himself saying these things, so there's no question this is legit/not fake. 

It involves building massive new cities on federal land, building personal vertical takeoff/landing aircraft for individual families, etc..  The cost of what he is proposing  is probably in the tens of trillions.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that this is coming from a candidate in the party that is supposed to be the conservative party in this country.

--- Quote ---Modern cities and flying cars might sound like the makings of an episode of the 1960s cartoon The Jetsons, where a fictionalized family flew around in Orbit City.

For former President Donald Trump, however, it’s the foundation of a new set of futuristic policy proposals.

In a video set to be released on Friday, Trump will call for a “quantum leap” in the American standard of living.

Trump’s plan, shared in advance with POLITICO, calls for holding a contest to design and create up to ten new “Freedom Cities,” built from the ground up on federal land. It proposes an investment in the development of vertical-takeoff-and-landing vehicles; the creation of “hives of industry” sparked by cutting off imports from China; and a population surge sparked by “baby bonuses” to encourage would-be-parents to get on with procreation. It is all, his team says, part of a larger nationwide beautification campaign meant to inspire forward-looking visions of America’s future.

“Past generations of Americans pursued big dreams and daring projects that once seemed absolutely impossible. They pushed across an unsettled continent and built new cities in the wild frontier. They transformed American life with the interstate highway system—magnificent it was. And they launched a vast network of satellites into orbit all around the earth,” Trump said in his video.

“But today, our country has lost its boldness. Under my leadership, we will get it back in a very big way. If you look at just three years ago, what we were doing was unthinkable, how good it was, how great it was for our country. Our objective will be a quantum leap in the American standard of living,” Trump said.

Trump campaign advisers acknowledge the new set of plans are out of the ordinary. But they note he’s made other eye-popping proposals before — like purchasing Greenland from Denmark. They offered analogies to Abraham Lincoln’s campaign for the transcontinental railroad, Teddy Roosevelt’s vision for a national park service, and Dwight D. Eisenhower’s Interstate Highway System.

A former celebrity real estate developer and TV personality, Trump has a long history of outlining audacious new initiatives that are heavy on imagery and light on details. The latest offerings come with a few explanations for how they will be executed.

Trump says he would host a contest for the public to design and then build “Freedom Cities” on a small portion of federal land to “reopen the frontier, reignite American imagination, and give hundreds of thousands of young people and other people, all hardworking families, a new shot at home ownership and in fact, the American Dream.”

Trump’s call for investments in vertical-takeoff-and-landing vehicles, which he says could transform transportation and connect rural and urban America, is part of a “major initiative” focused on lowering the cost of a new car and creating new transportation methods. It comes as companies like Boeing and Honda are currently spending billions to develop and test electric vertical takeoff and landing vehicles that operate like giant drones for humans.

“Just as the United States led the automotive revolution in the last century, I want to ensure that America, not China, leads this revolution in air mobility,” Trump said in the video.

As for “baby bonuses” to encourage the next baby boom and tackle America’s slowing birth rate, Trump appears to be (knowingly or not) borrowing a page from others, like Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.). During the 2020 campaign, the New Jersey Democrat proposed “baby bonds,” which would set aside funds in a savings account for every child in America.

Trump’s advisers concede that the set of proposals put out on Friday are broad brushstrokes. But they also insist that they aren’t moonshot either.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/03/trump-policy-futuristic-cities-00085383
--- End quote ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJA_GBhCGgE

Kamaji:
Trump's been watching "Meet the Robinsons" again:

catfish1957:
I am not an economist Major, but I do understand finance and how it interplays with business and government pretty well.

Let's hear how much Trump thinks it will cost.  My Wild assed guess estimate?  $10-15T, with at least 75-90% subsidized by taxpayers.

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on March 28, 2023, 01:13:47 pm ---I am not an economist Major, but I do understand finance and how it interplays with business and government pretty well.

Let's hear how much Trump thinks it will cost.  My Wild assed guess estimate?  $10-15T, with at least 75-90% subsidized by taxpayers.

--- End quote ---

This is the kind of thing that if it was proposed by a Democrat, every conservative/GOP politician and voter in the country would be mocking openly as the quintessential example of big government run amok.  It would be a meme we'd be making jokes about for literally decades, like Dukakis in the tank.

I hope every Trump-supporting politician is asked about this, and whether or not they support it.  And I hope that when the primary really gets going, the Fox Business panel focuses on this specific proposal.

The wildest thing about this is that we're seeing cities become less necessary because of the ability to remote work.  The logic of building entirely new cities is just...bizarre.

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on March 28, 2023, 01:20:26 pm ---This is the kind of thing that if it was proposed by a Democrat, every conservative/GOP politician and voter in the country would be mocking openly as the quintessential example of big government run amok.  It would be a meme we'd be making jokes about for literally decades, like Dukakis in the tank.

I hope every Trump-supporting politician is asked about this, and whether or not they support it.  And I hope that when the primary really gets going, the Fox Business panel focuses on this specific proposal.

The wildest thing about this is that we're seeing cities become less necessary because of the ability to remote work.  The logic of building entirely new cities is just...bizarre.

--- End quote ---

Trump is out FDR-ing FDR. 

And I got a chuckle from the poster earlier with his Trump love while sporting a Coolidge pic on his profile.    Irony at its best.

OTOH, and speaking of FBN, I got a lot of respect for Kudlow, and am dying to hear what he thinks of this.  I hope he will speak honestly and candidly rather than continuing to carry his bosses water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version