Author Topic: SASC seapower chair Kaine: ‘All systems go’ to support Marines’ 31 amphibs  (Read 74 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
SASC seapower chair Kaine: ‘All systems go’ to support Marines’ 31 amphibs

Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., also stated that he is “likely” to receive the Navy’s updated 30-year shipbuilding plan “in the next day or so.”
By   AARON MEHTA
on March 27, 2023 at 1:57 PM

U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) gives a thumbs-up as he makes his way to a closed-door briefing on Ukraine at the U.S. Capitol on March 02, 2023 in Washington, DC. (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON — The new head of the Senate Armed Services Committee’s seapower subcommittee today made clear he expects his committee to support the Marines reaching 31 amphibious warships.

Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., also stated that he has yet to hear any real defense of the decision not to buy more amphibs in the Pentagon’s fiscal 2024 budget request, and indicated it is his belief that the controversial decision came from the Office of the Secretary of Defense and not from Navy leadership.

“I don’t want to speak for people other than me, but I can read the room. I think the discussions have convinced the significant majority of the committee [that 31 amphibs are] the number, and unless or until somebody gives us a compelling reason to suggest that that’s not the case, or a compelling reason suggests that we need to pause and study this yet again, I think we’re on for 31,” Kaine told reporters in a briefing today.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/03/sasc-seapower-chair-kaine-all-systems-go-to-support-marines-31-amphibs/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If a congressional committee says something is ready, it isn't! **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson