Author Topic: BREAKING: Multiple Agencies are responding to a Runaway train carrying 180 cars heading 80mph with n  (Read 593 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The crew bailed? At what speed?  Full throttle forward and jump out?  There is something wrong with this picture.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

I've seen this movie before.  Crazy 8's.  I thought trains had a fail safe to keep this from happening?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

Whiskey/Tango/Foxtrot!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The crew bailed? At what speed?  Full throttle forward and jump out?  There is something wrong with this picture.

I thought it was a joke at first... :shrug:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I've seen this movie before.  Crazy 8's.  I thought trains had a fail safe to keep this from happening?

Support the USO

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://news.yahoo.com/train-no-passengers-derails-san-181822173.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

A runaway train with no passengers derailed in San Bernardino on Monday morning, catching fire, according to authorities.

The train carrying cars of iron ore — the raw material used to make steel — derailed near Kelso, according to the San Bernardino County Fire Protection District and fire department radio transmissions.

Fire engines and a hazardous materials team are responding, according to the government agency. The fire department confirmed around 11:20 a.m. that the fire was out, and that there were no injuries and no active threat to the area.

"It did derail and it is on fire. Carrying 180 cars of iron ore," said a man on the San Bernardino County fire and rescue radio channel more than an hour earlier. Another fire employee said there was a fire "under the first locomotive."

The department was sending water tenders to the scene to help battle the blaze caused by the derailment. But soon after the reports of fire, law enforcement at the scene confirmed there was no longer a fire and many of the fire trucks called to the scene were sent to other assignments.

The San Bernardino County Fire Protection District said it was on the scene with representatives from Union Pacific railroad company.

Union Pacific told The Times that the southbound train crashed around 8:30 a.m. Pacific time, with 55 cars and two locomotives derailing. The train was in the Mojave National Preserve, east of Barstow.

"The crew was not injured," said Kristen South, a spokesperson for Union Pacific. "The derailed rail cars were loaded with iron ore, which spilled. Iron ore is part of the steel-making process and is not a hazardous material. Further, there were no hazardous materials on the train. The incident is under investigation."

She confirmed no train crew members were in control of the train when it derailed.

"I can confirm the crew was not in the cab at the time of the derailment and there was uncontrolled train movement," South said. "No one was hurt and the cause is under investigation.”

Offline Fishrrman

Iron ore cars are short:

The reason they're short is simple:
Weight -- iron ore is heavy stuff and would be far too much weight for a car 40-50' long.

Thus, a 180-car train of these would be about as long as a 100 car train of regular cars.

Going to be interesting as to why the crew jumped off. They must have realized very quickly that something was very wrong, perhaps a kinked hose, brakes not responding, etc. Something serious enough so that they knew right away there was no way to regain control on a steep downgrade.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@bigheadfred

I am having a hard time believing it,too.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

A few pics at this page:
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/hazmat-crews-respond-to-train-derailment-near-baker/

I am going to guess that this may have happened on what is called the "Cima grade". There have been wrecks due to runaways there before.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Calling Pothole Pete ...

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright