Author Topic: Who Owns the University? By Victor Davis Hanson  (Read 201 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Who Owns the University? By Victor Davis Hanson
« on: March 27, 2023, 01:37:23 pm »
Who Owns the University?

The megalomania of the current crop of students, faculty, and administrators at our radical universities blinds them to the claims of their generations of benefactors.
By Victor Davis Hanson
March 26, 2023

The most recent shout-down debacle at Stanford’s law school, one of many such recent sordid episodes, prompts the question: “Who owns our universities?”

The law students who are in residence for three years apparently assume they embody the university. And so, they believe they represent and speak for a score of diverse Stanford interests when they shout down federal Judge Kyle Duncan, as if he were an intruder into their own woke private domain.

After all, Stanford, like most of the Ivy League universities, is a private institution. Are then its board of trustees, its faculty, its students, and its administration de facto overseers and owners?

Not really.

In the case of public institutions of higher learning, there is no controversy: The people own the university and, through their elected representatives, pay for and approve its entire budget. Again, through their selected regents and overseers, the taxpayers adjudicate the laws of these universities. 

But private universities, while different, are not really so different. 

more
https://amgreatness.com/2023/03/26/who-owns-the-university/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Who Owns the University? By Victor Davis Hanson
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 02:12:18 pm »
Red states that fund their colleges can end this by funding only those majors that results in private sector jobs, and maybe those that have cultural value like art, literature, or history.

Get rid of all the other social justice type stuff and take away the leftist activism. Dealing with private colleges are more difficult unless they receive govt funds somehow though it won't be as easy as state funded.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 02:20:26 pm »
I wish everyone, including VDH would quite giving so much credence to so called hallowed universities  based on name only like Stanford.

I can candidly and honestly say that in my 20+ years as a manager in Big Oil. that the dumbest and most incompetent person I had working for me came from one of these.....   MIT. 

The best I had came from smaller schools and were the ones that worked their asses off, and learned, rather than trying to bask in the laurels of where they got their degree.

<rant off>
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 03:35:57 pm »
 ////00000////

Universities have become incubators and safe spaces for The Stupid and The Nonsense ... and tax-exempt, semi-professional sports franchises.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 03:53:47 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright