General Category > Crime And Punishment

South Carolina store allows teenage shoplifters to work instead of pressing charges

(1/2) > >>

Kamaji:
South Carolina store allows teenage shoplifters to work instead of pressing charges

By Landon Mion, Fox News
March 26, 2023

Two South Carolina teenagers stole from a store at a mall in Greenville, but the business elected to turn the incident into a learning opportunity and a chance to give back to the community instead of pressing charges against the shoplifters.

The teenage boys were caught by Greenville Police on surveillance video on March 13 stealing from Palmetto Moon in Haywood Mall.

But Palmetto Moon president Amber Dube said that when the clothing store learned the shoplifters were teenagers, they wanted to work with the families on resolving the issue without pressing charges.

As a result, the boys will work for Palmetto Moon.

“I think this is a situation where teenagers do stupid things, and we know that,” Dube told FOX Carolina. “So I think it’s important for us to think about what they did and really judge on the merits of who they are and what they can contribute back to the community.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/03/26/south-carolina-store-allows-teenage-shoplifters-to-work-instead-of-pressing-charges/

Maj. Bill Martin:
What could possibly go wrong?

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on March 26, 2023, 06:00:05 pm ---What could possibly go wrong?

--- End quote ---

What could go right?  Presumably the store owners know what they're getting into.  It wasn't forced on them.

roamer_1:
There ain't nothing wrong with that...

I had a similar deal... A kid messed me up. Property damage. Took out a fence row and the horses got out.

The kid was caught, dead to rights. Witnesses that knew him. He was busted and arraigned. But his old man called me up and came over to sit on the porch. An honest assessment from him left a hope that we could settle it between us.

The cops and the court were already involved, but I went and spoke for the kid, and told the judge we had an agreement and providing that the kid honored his father's word, providing restitution, the judge ruled the charges would be dropped, except for the traffic violations.

And it all worked out. I hired the kid on and paid him half wages, withholding the other half as restitution performance, and he helped me fix the fence, and mucked stalls and such until the debt was considered paid.

There was a lesson in that. He got the message.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on March 26, 2023, 06:21:09 pm ---There ain't nothing wrong with that...

I had a similar deal... A kid messed me up. Property damage. Took out a fence row and the horses got out.

The kid was caught, dead to rights. Witnesses that knew him. He was busted and arraigned. But his old man called me up and came over to sit on the porch. An honest assessment from him left a hope that we could settle it between us.

The cops and the court were already involved, but I went and spoke for the kid, and told the judge we had an agreement and providing that the kid honored his father's word, providing restitution, the judge ruled the charges would be dropped, except for the traffic violations.

And it all worked out. I hired the kid on and paid him half wages, withholding the other half as restitution performance, and he helped me fix the fence, and mucked stalls and such until the debt was considered paid.

There was a lesson in that. He got the message.

--- End quote ---

:thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version