Author Topic: Insect Farming Is Booming. But Is It Cruel?  (Read 438 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Insect Farming Is Booming. But Is It Cruel?
« on: March 26, 2023, 11:45:21 am »
Insect Farming Is Booming. But Is It Cruel?

More than a trillion insects are raised each year as high-protein, low-carbon animal feed, but the practice might have an ethical blind spot.

INSECTS ARE STRANGE, wondrous beings. Butterflies can see parts of the light spectrum that are invisible to human eyes and use these ultraviolet patterns to find their way to tasty plants. Moths use the Earth’s magnetic field to orient themselves on journeys of hundreds of miles. Bees waggle their butts to tell their hive-mates where to find a juicy stash of nectar. Insects live in our world—or humans live in theirs—yet we inhabit completely different sensory universes.

But just as we are starting to understand insect senses, something is shifting in the way we treat these creatures. Insect farming is booming in a major way. By one estimate, between 1 trillion and 1.2 trillion insects are raised on farms each year as companies race to find a high-protein, low-carbon way to feed animals and humans. In terms of sheer numbers of animals impacted, this is a transformation of a speed and scale that we’ve never seen before.

It’s a weird twist in our already strange relationship with bugs. We squash them, spray them, eat them, and crush them to make pretty dyes. But we also fret about plummeting wild insect populations and rely on them to pollinate the crops we eat. And with the industrialization of insect farming, bugs are being offered up as a solution to the human-caused climate crisis. But before we go down that route, we need to ask some really basic questions about insects. Can they feel? And if so, what should we do about it?

https://www.wired.com/story/insect-farming-sentience/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Insect Farming Is Booming. But Is It Cruel?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 01:08:46 pm »
bugs are being offered up as a solution to the human-caused climate crisis

Ya lost me right there.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 01:13:50 pm »
Doesn't matter. The things that are going to replace the current economy for the future 'green economy' are never going to be allowed to happen.

The environuts will protest it, and it will never come to fruition, and you will starve.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 02:13:02 pm »
There is no climate crisis. It’s climate change. It’s been a natural part of Earth since creation
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 02:24:08 pm »
There is no climate crisis. It’s climate change. It’s been a natural part of Earth since creation
:amen:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 09:52:58 pm »
Kamaji quoted from the article:
"bugs are being offered up as a solution to the human-caused climate crisis"

Anyone seeing a subtle but significant change here?

From "global warming"
to
"Climate change",
and now, even that is modified further to:
"Climate crisis"...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 10:14:55 pm »
Yep.  4.6 Billion years of climate change and they can stop it for just $19.00/month...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis