Author Topic: Chuck Schumer calls GOP bill requiring schools to obtain parental consent ‘Orwellian to the core’  (Read 226 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Chuck Schumer calls GOP bill requiring schools to obtain parental consent ‘Orwellian to the core’
Posted at 10:33 am on March 25, 2023 by Doug P.

The New York Times’ subheadline about the Republicans’ Parents’ Bill of Rights Act says “the legislation would require schools to obtain parental consent to honor a student’s request to change gender-identifying pronouns.”

The bill passed the House yesterday:

A divided House on Friday approved legislation that would mandate that schools make library catalogs and curriculums public, and that they obtain parental consent before honoring a student’s request to change their gender-identifying pronouns, part of a Republican effort to wring political advantage from a raging debate over contentious social issues.

The bill, approved almost entirely along party lines on a vote of 213 to 208, is a centerpiece of the Republican agenda that its sponsors call the Parents Bill of Rights Act.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2023/03/25/chuck-schumer-calls-gop-bill-requiring-schools-to-obtain-parental-consent-orwellian-to-the-core/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Never knew Orwellian meant citizens keeping tabs on their govt and keeping it in check.

Desperate deflection by Chucky de Schmucky.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Never knew Orwellian meant citizens keeping tabs on their govt and keeping it in check.

Desperate deflection by Chucky de Schmucky.

Orwellian doublespeak.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley