Author Topic: A nuclear physicist describes 7 things you probably didn't know about radioactive fallout from a nuc  (Read 243 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A nuclear physicist describes 7 things you probably didn't know about radioactive fallout from a nuclear bomb
Story by insider@insider.com (Adam Barnes) • Yesterday 8:00 AM

1. Fallout can stay in the atmosphere for years
A nuclear physicist describes 7 things you probably didn't know about radioactive fallout from a nuclear bomb

Nuclear blasts create dangerous fallout — residual radioactive material that travels high into the air, cools into dust, and eventually settles back to the ground, poisoning it in the process. Most fallout from a nuclear blast takes anywhere from one day to a week to return to the ground, said Zaijing Sun, a nuclear physicist at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. But some fallout gets kicked so high into the atmosphere, as much as 50 miles up, it can remain for several months to years before falling back to the surface, Sun added.Sun works as part of the Health, Environment, and Radiation Detection research group at UNLV that studies radioactive waste management, as well as applications of radiology and nuclear physics for medical uses.

1. Fallout can stay in the atmosphere for years
Nuclear blasts create dangerous fallout — residual radioactive material that travels high into the air, cools into dust, and eventually settles back to the ground, poisoning it in the process.

Most fallout from a nuclear blast takes anywhere from one day to a week to return to the ground, said Zaijing Sun, a nuclear physicist at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

But some fallout gets kicked so high into the atmosphere, as much as 50 miles up, it can remain for several months to years before falling back to the surface, Sun added.

Sun works as part of the Health, Environment, and Radiation Detection research group at UNLV that studies radioactive waste management, as well as applications of radiology and nuclear physics for medical uses.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-nuclear-physicist-describes-7-things-you-probably-didn-t-know-about-radioactive-fallout-from-a-nuclear-bomb/ss-AA18YReS?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=675df6aad22644bcb61c527d598cfaf3&ei=53#image=2
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Doggone it, he just made the case for using airbursts whenever it will get the job done.

NEXT!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The book: American Ground Zero: The Secret Nuclear War by Carole Gallagher, exposes the effects of nuclear bomb testing in the U.S.

It is an interesting read.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The book: American Ground Zero: The Secret Nuclear War by Carole Gallagher, exposes the effects of nuclear bomb testing in the U.S.

It is an interesting read.
It is surprising where some of the fallout ended up...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis