Author Topic: Washington Dems Want English-Language Requirement Cut for Certain Civil Service Positions  (Read 501 times)

Offline Kamaji

Washington Dems Want English-Language Requirement Cut for Certain Civil Service Positions

Leah Barkoukis
March 24, 2023

Legislation introduced by Washington state Democrats would eliminate an English-language requirement for some civil service employees, including firefighters, police officers, and sheriff’s office positions. Additionally, U.S. citizenship would not be required either, as Senate Bill 5274 would allow lawful permanent residents to apply.

The bill’s sponsor, state Sen. Javier Valdez, said the legislation would increase the pool of candidates available and help diversify the state's workforce.

“If an applicant is capable and qualified to do the job, we must remove the barriers that prevent them from working as a public servant,” Valdez said. “Washington is a diverse, multicultural state, and our workforce should reflect that.”

The measure, denounced by conservatives, passed the Senate earlier this month and will now be taken up by the House.

“This latest left-wing equity push neither makes sense nor serves the public,” said Radio host Jason Rantz, who argued speaking English is a necessary requirement to perform even the most basic tasks associated with the jobs.

"This will push unqualified candidates into roles for diversity’s sake (and yes, you’re unqualified for these jobs if you don’t possess these basic skills)," he said. "It puts our safety at risk."

Source:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2023/03/24/washington-dems-want-english-language-requirement-out-for-first-responders-n2621080

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Democrats have got to be some of the stupidest people on this planet.

Offline BellyAche

So this does not need to be said in English??? (Of course in this day and age, the person arrested might not speak English either.)

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have a right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.”
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Kamaji

So this does not need to be said in English??? (Of course in this day and age, the person arrested might not speak English either.)

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have a right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.”

"Sie haben das Recht zu schweigen. Alles, was Sie sagen, kann und wird vor Gericht gegen Sie verwendet werden. Sie haben das Recht auf einen Anwalt. Wenn Sie sich keinen Anwalt leisten können, wird Ihnen einer gestellt."

Or:

"Anda memiliki hak untuk tetap diam. Apa pun yang Anda katakan dapat dan akan digunakan untuk melawan Anda di pengadilan. Anda berhak mendapatkan pengacara. Jika Anda tidak mampu membayar pengacara, seorang pengacara akan ditunjuk untuk Anda."

Makes perfect sense to me!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Firefighters don't have to speak English? WTF? That's a safety issue.

What's next? Air Traffic Controllers?

English Teachers?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"The bill’s sponsor, state Sen. Javier Valdez..."

Notice anything...?

Once more, Fishrrman's dialectic:
You may not be interested in the politics of race, ethnicity, and identity.
But the politics of race, ethnicity and identity are VERY MUCH interested ... in YOU.

Offline berdie

If I read this correctly, civil servants will not be required to speak the language (English) of the country they are employed in.

There are many companies today that outsource their customer service/technical support. Although I admire these people whose first language is not English for doing these jobs, I hate to make these calls. I can't understand what they are saying due to their accents.

I can't, in my wildest dreams imagine what it would be like to try to communicate with someone, about something that might have vital importance, who doesn't speak the language.

I'm hoping I am misreading this article

Offline verga

Firefighters don't have to speak English? WTF? That's a safety issue.

What's next? Air Traffic Controllers?

English Teachers?
Any one that wants a pilot's license (Sport, Private, or Commercial) must be able to read and speak English. English is required of all Pilots, even international.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.