Author Topic: Disney quietly dodged DeSantis’s oversight board, appointees realize  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Disney quietly dodged DeSantis’s oversight board, appointees realize
The Washington Post, Mar 30, 2023

The Disney World oversight board installed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) accused its predecessor of using an 11th-hour agreement to sharply curtail the new board’s powers and bolster the entertainment giant’s control over the Florida-based amusement park.

In one of its last acts before DeSantis’s appointees took over, the board for the area that includes Walt Disney Co.’s Florida theme park agreed to a deal in February that grants the company broad veto powers over any improvements or changes to properties in the park, according to a copy of the agreement published by the Orlando Sentinel. Under the measure, any changes are “subject to [Disney’s] prior review and comment,” so as to “ensure consistency with the overall design and theming” of the park, effectively stripping much of the board’s power to regulate Disney.

The board is also prohibited from using Disney’s name or characters — “such as Mickey Mouse” — or distributing or selling Disney-related merchandise. It also gives the company the right to prior review and comment when the board changes building exteriors, among other strictures.

The new agreement invokes a “royal lives” clause: It is valid in perpetuity, or if forever is deemed to be too long, until the “death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, King of England living as of the date of this Declaration.” Such clauses have been employed for centuries as a workaround for restrictions on agreements in perpetuity.  The contract also contains stipulations allowing Disney to seek damages if the board violates any provisions.

More:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/30/desantis-disney-world-board-loophole/

« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 07:16:52 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

FTA:

But in a bureaucratic coup, Disney and the previous board signed an agreement on Feb. 8 — the day before the Florida House passed a bill paving the way for the DeSantis appointees — that transferred much of the board’s power to Disney.

The new board, much to its chagrin, apparently discovered the agreement recently, although the outgoing Reedy Creek board placed the required public-hearing notice on the issue in the Orlando Sentinel newspaper, in late January.

“I’m surprised that they didn’t tell us about it as soon as we were appointed,” one of the board members, Brian Aungst Jr., told local station News 6 as the board held a meeting Wednesday. “We had to find out about it late at night on a Friday night.”

DeSantis’s new board should not have been caught off guard, said Chad Emerson, who wrote a history of the theme park, “Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World.”

“It looks like the governor’s team failed to monitor the RCID public meetings leading up to the change,” Emerson said. “I can’t believe they weren’t reviewing every agenda and attending every meeting where a contract was approved.”

FTA:

Ron Peri, another board member, said at the meeting that under the agreement, “this board loses, for practical purposes, the majority of its ability to do anything beyond maintain the roads and maintain basic infrastructure,” according to News 6.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
But, but, but...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

The Wall Street Journal
@WSJ

Disney has outmaneuvered Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in the battle for control over the more than 24,000-acre parcel of land near Orlando where Walt Disney World Resort is located

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-disney-dodged-ron-desantis-and-kept-control-of-its-florida-land-c46844ed?mod=e2tw

11:45 PM · Mar 31, 2023

Offline libertybele

OH MY!   *****rollingeyes*****
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

Meh. Cheap trick... And dumb. Abolish the board and set a new one. What then?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
They gots DeSantis now! After this I would never vote for him...unless I actually had a chance to that is. is it time to pull up that picture and accuse DeSantis of drinking with minors, or maybe push the DeSantis homosexual line again. Let me know when DeSantis talks about grabbing women's genitals, paying off hookers or saying he could kill someone so that I can compare him to Trump, you no apple to Trumpian roadapple.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Disney's run-around itself can be run around with new legislation.  DeSantis and Florida will end up getting the last laugh.

Offline roamer_1

Re: Disney quietly dodged DeSantis’s oversight board, appointees realize
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2023, 11:30:11 pm »
Disney's run-around itself can be run around with new legislation.  DeSantis and Florida will end up getting the last laugh.

YEP. FAFO...

The sovereign state will win out, and the CLAMP will be way tighter than now.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 07:10:39 pm »
This is the salient point.

FTA:

The new board, much to its chagrin, apparently discovered the agreement recently, although the outgoing Reedy Creek board placed the required public-hearing notice on the issue in the Orlando Sentinel newspaper, in late January.

DeSantis’s new board should not have been caught off guard, said Chad Emerson, who wrote a history of the theme park, “Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World.”

“It looks like the governor’s team failed to monitor the RCID public meetings leading up to the change,” Emerson said. “I can’t believe they weren’t reviewing every agenda and attending every meeting where a contract was approved.”

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 11:45:14 am »
They gots DeSantis now! After this I would never vote for him...unless I actually had a chance to that is. is it time to pull up that picture and accuse DeSantis of drinking with minors, or maybe push the DeSantis homosexual line again. Let me know when DeSantis talks about grabbing women's genitals, paying off hookers or saying he could kill someone so that I can compare him to Trump, you no apple to Trumpian roadapple.

:thumbsup:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2023, 12:33:02 am »
Just pass a state legislation overruling the agreement. It includes a clause based on the king of England, thereby making it an unconstitutional one-sided treaty. It's invalid.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2023, 12:50:16 am »
Just pass a state legislation overruling the agreement. It includes a clause based on the king of England, thereby making it an unconstitutional one-sided treaty. It's invalid.

Any which way, I will predict they will rue the day. You ain't gonna beat the state at dirty pool, because they make the rules. Payback will be hell to pay for Disney. Which corporate idiot decided to throw down?

Offline corbe

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2023, 01:13:06 am »
   DeSantis is a pu$$y.  @Right_in_Virginia has convinced me that a vote for anyone other than Trump is an exercise in futility.   /s
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2023, 02:25:09 am »
   DeSantis is a pu$$y.  @Right_in_Virginia has convinced me that a vote for anyone other than Trump is an exercise in futility.   /s

:mauslaff:

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2023, 03:16:36 am »

DeSantis demands investigation into Disney deal after Reedy Creek embarrassment

by Jack Birle, Breaking News Reporter 
April 03, 2023 03:52 PM

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) escalated his fight with Disney when he ordered the state's chief inspector general to investigate the former Reedy Creek Improvement District board after it made an agreement with Disney that undermined the state's takeover of the district.

The letter from DeSantis requests the investigation look for any "any legal or ethical violations" by the board in relation to their conduct before the state takeover of the district.

The investigation will focus on the district's "adherence to applicable Florida civil and criminal laws and ethics requirements," the qualifications of the board members, the "involvement of Walt Disney World employees and agents" in the actions of the district, and "any financial gain or benefit derived by Walt Disney World" as result of the work of the district.

It will also examine all Reedy Creek Improvement District "board, employee, or agent communications" related to the district's actions, the bill that restructured the district, the district itself, Orange and Osceola counties, and the new Central Florida Tourism Oversight District.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/desantis-demands-investigation-into-disney-deal-reedy-creek-embarrassment
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2023, 01:17:42 pm »
The shareholder meeting went off the rails.  Bob Iger seems intent on perpetuating a feud that he inherited.  He's nuts.  Parents DO NOT WANT sexual content in elementary schools or anything Disney is marketing to their children.  The shenanigans with the board just keeps political controversy in the news and damages their brand, not to mention the consequences for their investment in Florida.  Zero chance the state will surrender, considering the depth of influence conservatives exert at all levels.  The shareholders need to deal with Disney management.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2023, 03:25:37 pm »
Any which way, I will predict they will rue the day. You ain't gonna beat the state at dirty pool, because they make the rules. Payback will be hell to pay for Disney. Which corporate idiot decided to throw down?
Whether the DeSantis and Floridians had anything to do with it Disney is in a bad situation bleeding money at an insane rate as they reap the benefits of wokeism, grooming and destruction of traditional family values.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2023, 04:45:34 pm »

In the shareholder meeting Bob Iger all but admitted there was no veil between the Reedy Creek board and Disney.  The self-dealing is obvious.  Disney might be successful in judge shopping the federal circuit, but I can't imagine the state will allow the power transfer to stand. 

One of the shareholders went off on Iger for not mending fences with the state govenrment, and the woke agenda the company has taken with regard to domestic issues while they profit from China. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2023, 06:15:05 pm »
Whether the DeSantis and Floridians had anything to do with it Disney is in a bad situation bleeding money at an insane rate as they reap the benefits of wokeism, grooming and destruction of traditional family values.

That's right... with losses in the billions.

And I don't think that is going to stop, until it's driven in the ground like a tent peg.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2023, 06:16:47 pm »
In the shareholder meeting Bob Iger all but admitted there was no veil between the Reedy Creek board and Disney.  The self-dealing is obvious.  Disney might be successful in judge shopping the federal circuit, but I can't imagine the state will allow the power transfer to stand. 

One of the shareholders went off on Iger for not mending fences with the state govenrment, and the woke agenda the company has taken with regard to domestic issues while they profit from China.

Yeah... A serious mistake.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2023, 06:24:33 pm »
Government is never a trustworthy business partner or counterparty because THEY can change the rules in THEIR favor at any time, ala 2008 Financial Crisis.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.