Author Topic: Kidney Transplant Controller Wants To Distribute Human Organs Based On ‘Equity’  (Read 330 times)

Offline mountaineer

No kidney for you!
Kidney Transplant Controller Wants To Distribute Human Organs Based On ‘Equity’
A new organ waitlist policy would betray those who have already donated an organ and discourage others from donating in the future.
By: Thomas Kelly
March 23, 2023

If someone donates one of their kidneys and later needs a new one, should they go to the top of the transplant waitlist? Yes, say good people. Yes, say normal people. Not anymore, say the bureaucrats in charge of the transplant waitlist. Instead, they say it’s time for a “more equitable approach.”

Currently, the people at the top of the kidney transplant waitlist are people who have donated one of their organs to someone else (living donors), young children who are a great biological match with an organ, and patients who are very hard to be matched with any organ. The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) is a private non-profit that holds a contract with the federal government to run the transplant waitlist, and they want to change that. UNOS wants to remove these “hard boundaries” in favor of a new system that erodes the protections for living donors.

A report commissioned by UNOS envisions a drastic reduction in prioritization for living donors — going from the current virtual guarantee of getting a new kidney to a slight bonus on the waiting list — equivalent to as low as 10 percent of the total prioritization score. This policy would betray those who have already donated an organ and discourage others from donating in the future. They are pushing this policy even though their own research shows that changing from the current policy will not reduce death rates but lead to a higher rate of failed kidney transplants in the first year after surgery.  ...

Often when people say a policy change is motivated by “equity,” everybody knows exactly what equity means. But for this policy, nobody knows what it means.

This new policy constantly refers to “improvements in equity,” but it’s not clear in what context.  ...
The Federalist

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Why don't we just start harvesting organs from poor people in $h!th0le countries?  Let's stop kidding ourselves.  The rich will exploit the poor as a human organ resource pool.

Steve Jobs jumped to the top of the liver transplant list by applying to ALL the regional donation lists.  Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy human organs.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mountaineer

The rich will exploit the poor as a human organ resource pool.
There probably has been an episode of Law & Order (or one of the spinoffs) about that very thing, that is, cutting the organs out of poor people and selling them to the wealthy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
////00000////

Why don't we just start harvesting organs from poor people in $h!th0le countries?  Let's stop kidding ourselves.  The rich will exploit the poor as a human organ resource pool.

Steve Jobs jumped to the top of the liver transplant list by applying to ALL the regional donation lists.  Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy human organs.

How about all those potential donors crowding our southern border?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
How about all those potential donors crowding our southern border?

New Cartel cash crop.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.