General Category > Elections 2024

DeSantis Says ‘War Criminal’ Putin Should Be ‘Held Accountable’ Days After Saying Ukraine Not a ‘Vit

<< < (3/6) > >>

Right_in_Virginia:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on March 23, 2023, 02:27:37 pm ---DeSantis' postion on Ukraine was covered in some level of substance in responding to Tucker Carlson's request to all potential GOP candidates.  Check those threads for details.

--- End quote ---

His first position:

--- Quote ---Tucker Carlson
@TuckerCarlson

Florida Governor @RonDeSantisFL answers our Ukraine questionnaire:

“While the U.S. has many vital national interests – securing our borders, addressing the crisis of readiness within our military, achieving energy security and independence, and checking the economic, cultural, and military power of the Chinese Communist Party – becoming further entangled in a territorial dispute between Ukraine and Russia is not one of them. The Biden administration’s virtual “blank check” funding of this conflict for “as long as it takes,” without any defined objectives or accountability, distracts from our country’s most pressing challenges.

Without question, peace should be the objective. The U.S. should not provide assistance that could require the deployment of American troops or enable Ukraine to engage in offensive operations beyond its borders.  F-16s and long-range missiles should therefore be off the table. These moves would risk explicitly drawing the United States into the conflict and drawing us closer to a hot war between the world’s two largest nuclear powers. That risk is unacceptable.

A policy of “regime change” in Russia (no doubt popular among the DC foreign policy interventionists) would greatly increase the stakes of the conflict, making the use of nuclear weapons more likely.  Such a policy would neither stop the death and destruction of the war, nor produce a pro-American, Madisonian constitutionalist in the Kremlin. History indicates that Putin’s successor, in this hypothetical, would likely be even more ruthless.  The costs to achieve such a dubious outcome could become astronomical.   

The Biden administration’s policies have driven Russia into a de facto alliance with China. Because China has not and will not abide by the embargo, Russia has increased its foreign revenues while China benefits from cheaper fuel. Coupled with his intentional depletion of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and support for the Left’s Green New Deal, Biden has further empowered Russia’s energy-dominated economy and Putin’s war machine at Americans’ expense.

Our citizens are also entitled to know how the billions of U.S. taxpayer dollars are being utilized in Ukraine. 

We cannot prioritize intervention in an escalating foreign war over the defense of our own homeland, especially as tens of thousands of Americans are dying every year from narcotics smuggled across our open border and our weapons arsenals critical for our own security are rapidly being depleted."

9:02 PM · Mar 13, 2023

--- End quote ---

Joe Btfsplk:

--- Quote from: Free Vulcan on March 23, 2023, 02:57:52 pm ---Wow. that's a pretty hack attempt at a drive- by Mr. Five Posts, but I guess you walked in as our Personal Jesus to lay down Trumpian truth.

It's called walking and chewing gum, and DeSantis is right on both. He's actually able to get past populist generalities on issues.

--- End quote ---
Interesting you brought up the Lord. He's my Savior and I claim no other.  I certainly do not consider myself worthy of comparison. But that is a topic for a different discussion.

FYI I "found" this board after doing a search for "Pookie's Tunes" (which used to be on a now defunct board called Front Porch Punditry). However, I've been posting on political BBs since the late 90's, so I'm hardly new.

I am very cynical when it comes to politicians, so perhaps my criticism was somewhat unfair. I want to like DeSantis and I've actually called for Trump with his excess baggage to step aside.

There are too many important issues for the Trumpian bread and circuses

Joe Btfsplk:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on March 23, 2023, 03:05:58 pm ---New poster (and a welcome to him)  seems to not remember that DeSantis actually at least from what was provided to Tucker Carlson, a lot more aligned to Trump than McConnell and Linzy Graham on this matter.

Dissing  a sittng Governor of FL, who is not privy to all the intelligence facts at this point seems a little silly.

--- End quote ---
Thank you for the welcome.  Please see my previous post to this one.  Hope that clarifies my position

Free Vulcan:

--- Quote from: Joe Btfsplk on March 23, 2023, 04:14:52 pm ---Interesting you brought up the Lord. He's my Savior and I claim no other.  I certainly do not consider myself worthy of comparison. But that is a topic for a different discussion.

FYI I "found" this board after doing a search for "Pookie's Tunes" (which used to be on a now defunct board called Front Porch Punditry). However, I've been posting on political BBs since the late 90's, so I'm hardly new.

I am very cynical when it comes to politicians, so perhaps my criticism was somewhat unfair. I want to like DeSantis and I've actually called for Trump with his excess baggage to step aside.

There are too many important issues for the Trumpian bread and circuses

--- End quote ---

You've been here all of 6 posts now, so sorry if I am skeptical.

Welcome to TBR.

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Right_in_Virginia on March 23, 2023, 03:52:22 pm ---His first position:

--- End quote ---

It's all a point of perspective, but from mine that seems pretty close to Trump.

And that should make a lot happy including me.  That means that 75-80% of the GOP primary preference voters are seeing their candidate NOT endorse the Ukraine "blank check" approach. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version