General Category > Elections 2024

DeSantis Says ‘War Criminal’ Putin Should Be ‘Held Accountable’ Days After Saying Ukraine Not a ‘Vit

(1/6) > >>

Joe Btfsplk:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis toughened his stance on Russian President Vladimir Putin, calling Putin a “war criminal” who should be “held accountable” for the invasion of Ukraine, just days after he claimed the Ukraine war is not a “vital national interest.”

DeSantis angered Republican hawks, Never Trumpers, and neocons less than two weeks ago when he characterized the Ukraine-Russia conflict as a “territorial dispute” that is not a “vital” U.S. interests.

DeSantis told Fox News’s Tucker Carlson:

While the U.S. has many vital national interests — securing our border, addressing the crisis of readiness within our military, achieving energy security and independence, checking the economic, cultural, and military power of the Chinese Communist Party — becoming further entangled in a territorial dispute between Ukraine and Russia is not one of them.

After DeSantis’s initial comments, Never Trumper Adam Kinzinger (IL) dismissed DeSantis as being “in with the crazies,” and former GOP congresswoman Liz Cheney scolded DeSantis for seemingly forgetting “the lessons of Ronald Reagan.”

However, during an interview with Piers Morgan, DeSantis took a tougher position on the Ukraine conflict. In that interview, set to air on Fox Nation on Thursday, DeSantis branded Putin as a “war criminal” and demanded he be “held accountable” for invading Ukraine.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/03/22/desantis-says-war-criminal-putin-should-be-held-accountable-days-after-saying-ukraine-not-a-vital-u-s-interest/

Joe Btfsplk:
Well, that was quick.  And there went my one reason for supporting DeSantis

Chalk one up for the war party

Maj. Bill Martin:
It's not the 180 the headline suggests.  He clarified that he wasn't saying that Russia was right or justified to take Ukrainian territory, that the invasion was illegal, and that Putin is a scumbag.  But in terms of what the U.S. should or shouldn't do, his position is the same:

--- Quote ---But the reality is what is America’s involvement in terms of escalating with more weapons, and certainly ground troops I think would be a mistake. So, that was the point I was trying to make but Russia was wrong to invade,” DeSantis explained. “They were wrong to take Crimea."
--- End quote ---

Now personally, that disappoints me because I support sending weaponry (though not U.S. troops) to Ukraine, and DeSantis is no longer my first choice because of that.

LMAO:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on March 23, 2023, 01:57:22 pm ---Heh - I'm on the opposite side, and this was the one hiccup that had been giving me heartburn about supporting DeSantis.

Back on board the DeSantis train!

--- End quote ---

If he seeks the GOP nomination, he needs to come up with one Ukrainian policy. It seems like he’s trying to have it both ways a little bit.

He is still my preferred candidate. We cannot afford another Trump/Biden/Trump term. But his Ukraine policy is confusing

Support for sending money to Ukraine is dwindling amongst the general rabble. He either needs to make the case why we need to still be involved to the voters. Or make the case why he thinks we should get out

All this is based on the assumption he seeks  the nomination, of course

catfish1957:
From my POV. there as far as U.S. intervention not that much difference in Trump's and DeSantis' position.

That's making the RINO establishment heads explode.  And that's a good thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version