Author Topic: Migrant smugglers growing bolder on New Mexico roads  (Read 118 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Migrant smugglers growing bolder on New Mexico roads
« on: March 23, 2023, 03:45:50 pm »
Migrant smugglers growing bolder on New Mexico roads
Drivers speeding through highway checkpoints with migrants in car trunks

by: Julian Resendiz

Posted: Mar 21, 2023 / 05:51 PM CDT

Updated: Mar 21, 2023 / 06:02 PM CDT

EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) – Migrant smugglers are growing bolder on New Mexico roads, speeding through highway checkpoints with people hidden in car trunks, court documents show.

The smuggling activity often transcends state borders, with drivers picking up migrants in Arizona and taking them through New Mexico or hooking up with their charges in communities like Sunland Park and Santa Teresa and ending up in El Paso, Texas. Pursuits often involve drivers unwilling to stop for law enforcement and sometimes end with deflated tires and smugglers and migrants being airlifted to hospitals, records show.

Most of the drivers are U.S. citizens – sometimes teenagers – recruited for money by acquaintances who are part of smuggling networks. Others responded to social media postings. In some cases, the driver was an undocumented migrant seeking to pay off installments of his debt to the “coyotes,” the court filings show.

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/border-crime/migrant-smugglers-growing-bolder-on-new-mexico-roads/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson