Author Topic: Deforesting To Save The Planet? Europe’s Forests Shrinking As Wood Used For “Green” Energy  (Read 323 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Deforesting To Save The Planet? Europe’s Forests Shrinking As Wood Used For “Green” Energy
By P Gosselin on 22. March 2023

Share this...
How wood pellet power plants are fueling climate change

By Klimanachrichten
(Translated/edited by P. Gosselin)

German public broadcasting show SWR3-Wissen had a podcast about burning wood in Europe. In Germany’s forests, less wood is taken than what grows back, but in Europe it’s different. Here, the forest is losing total area, which also means that carbon sinks are disappearing. But deforestation is not the only problem; forests also store water and release it with a delay. These “sponges” are lost after clear-cutting. Apparently, the EU’s plans to substitute wood for coal call for expanding that as well.

In the United Kingdom, the former Drax coal-fired power plant burns significant amounts of wood.

Europe massively subsidizing a forest-destroying energy source

“Nearly nine million tons of pellets per year are burned by the Drax power plant. That’s three times Germany’s pellet production and one and a half times the UK’s wood production. With this huge amount of wood, the power plant generates seven percent of the UK’s electricity needs and gets plenty of subsidies for it: 3.5 million euros per day. Like the British, the EU is also promoting the conversion of coal-fired power plants to wood – with its Renewable Energies Directive adopted in 2009. Taxes on CO2 emissions from fossil energy are rising, but wood-burning is exempt.

https://notrickszone.com/2023/03/22/deforesting-to-save-the-planet-europes-forests-shrinking-as-wood-used-for-green-energy/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From the article:
"In the United Kingdom, the former Drax coal-fired power plant burns significant amounts of wood"

In the early days of railroading, engines burned wood.

Then, they moved to coal, a better fuel.

Later, some moved to fuel oil, better yet.

Why are we now going backwards?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
From the article:
"In the United Kingdom, the former Drax coal-fired power plant burns significant amounts of wood"

In the early days of railroading, engines burned wood.

Then, they moved to coal, a better fuel.

Later, some moved to fuel oil, better yet.

Why are we now going backwards?
Because the trees grew back, silly.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis