Author Topic: Sen. Kennedy’s question on legal procedure stumps Biden judicial nominee in front of Senate committe  (Read 226 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
March 22, 2023 5:08pm EDT
Sen. Kennedy’s question on legal procedure stumps Biden judicial nominee in front of Senate committee
'Brady motion' compels prosecution to hand over potentially favorable evidence to defense
By Michael Lee | Fox News

President Biden trial court nominee Kato Crews was stumped by questioning from Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., during confirmation hearing testimony on Wednesday.

Crews, a nominee for district judge of the U.S. District Court of Colorado, was asked by Kennedy how he would "analyze a Brady motion," with Crews answering that he had not "had the occasion to address a Brady motion" during his four and a half years on the bench.

After stumbling over the answer, Kennedy asked Crews if he knew "what a Brady motion is."

Crews, who currently serves as a magistrate judge, admitted that the concept was "not coming to mind" as a result of never having addressed the issue before, prompting Kennedy to ask if Crews remembered the Supreme Court case Brady v. Maryland and what the case held.

"I believe that the Brady case involved something regarding the Second Amendment," Crews responded. "I have not had an occasion to address that."

A Brady motion is a legal concept that came as a result of the landmark Brady v. Maryland Supreme Court decision in 1963, which held that the prosecution must hand over potentially favorable evidence to the defense.

The exchange was the second time this year Kennedy stumped a Biden judicial nominee during confirmation hearings, coming less than two months after the Louisiana senator quizzed Spokane County Superior Court Judge Charnelle Bjelkengren on Article V of the Constitution.

"Tell me what Article V of the Constitution does," Kennedy asked Bjelkengren at that hearing.

"Article V is not coming to mind at the moment," she responded.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/john-kennedy-question-legal-procedure-stumps-kato-crews-biden-judicial-nominee-front-entire-senate-committee
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Kennedy is awesome at these things.  He asks perfectly reasonable questions that most first year law students could answer to some degree, and some of these nominees just whiff completely.

What those questions reveal about those candidates is that they don't actually read about the law much, and just focus on the cases in front of them.  That's a bad thing.

Online mountaineer

The idiot nominee confused the Brady holding with Sarah Brady's gun-grabbing organization.   :thud:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What is revealed is that they are not ready for the Bench.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis