Author Topic: JUST IN: Report Advocates for Air Force to Buy at Least 20 B-21s Per Year  (Read 131 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

3/21/2023
By Josh Luckenbaugh   

Air Force illustration

The Air Force must ramp up the production of its next-generation B-21 Raider strategic bombers as quickly as possible in order to rebuild the United States’ long-range strike advantage, according to a new report released March 21.

Due to post-Cold War force cuts and poor modernization investments, “the U.S. bomber fleet is now the oldest, smallest, and most fragile it has ever been,” said the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies report, “Understanding the B-21 Raider: America’s Deterrence Bomber.”

“DoD’s combat air forces are now overbalanced towards shorter range aircraft with smaller payloads and bombers … that are not designed for today's contested environments,” said the author of the report, Mark Gunzinger, the institute’s director of future concepts and capability assessments.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2023/3/21/report-advocates-for-air-force-to-buy-at-least-20-b-21s-per-year
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Idiot

3/21/2023
By Josh Luckenbaugh   

Air Force illustration

The Air Force must ramp up the production of its next-generation B-21 Raider strategic bombers as quickly as possible in order to rebuild the United States’ long-range strike advantage, according to a new report released March 21.

Due to post-Cold War force cuts and poor modernization investments, “the U.S. bomber fleet is now the oldest, smallest, and most fragile it has ever been,” said the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies report, “Understanding the B-21 Raider: America’s Deterrence Bomber.”

“DoD’s combat air forces are now overbalanced towards shorter range aircraft with smaller payloads and bombers … that are not designed for today's contested environments,” said the author of the report, Mark Gunzinger, the institute’s director of future concepts and capability assessments.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2023/3/21/report-advocates-for-air-force-to-buy-at-least-20-b-21s-per-year
Great!  Can't wait to see them flying outside of my window.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If they build more than 22 or so, the cost per unit will drop...Otherwise the development costs will be rolled into the price tag for just a few, and that will seem huge (even more so). I'm all for this, but keep the triad. If the Russians don't want the treaty, but the MIRV buses back on the Minuteman IIIs.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis