Author Topic: “I would have fired somebody like Fauci” – Gov DeSantis takes on Trump in new interview with Piers M  (Read 1507 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

First, doing "what he thought was best" is utterly worthless.  I don't care if he or any other politician did what he thought was best - What I care about is whether what they did was actually the best thing to do.

At what point in the pandemic are you referring to here? @Maj. Bill Martin

No, the difference is that Trump will refuse to admit when he's done something wrong, and so doubles down rather than correcting his own mistakes.  And that's even less forgivable. Nobody gets everything right the first time, but smart people figure out when they're on the wrong course and correct it.

What did the President get wrong and fail to correct?  What did the President get right?

In contrast to Trump doubling down on stupidity, DeSantis was the first governor to dissent publicly from the CDC and reverse course.  Most importantly, the data on which DeSantis relied to break from the CDC and reverse course was just as available to Trump.

No.  While seven Republican governors publicly dissented from the start with the CDC and ignored their recommendations entirely, including lockdowns, DeSantis wasn't one of them.

As the videos I posted confirm, DeSantis relied heavily on Fauci's and Bird's recommendations, even thanking them for supporting his decision to quarantine visitors from NY.  He quoted them when ordering the state's lockdown and threatening to close businesses that refused to comply with his rules.  He ordered the use of masks and social distancing.  When he extended the lockdown another 30 days, he was pressed by Trump to explain why.  DeSantis said it was necessary to lower the infection rate and Trump left it to him.

DeSantis was very pro testing, proud that Florida had taken extraordinary steps to make testing available.  He felt the same about the vaccine. As transmission rates fell, DeSantis began opening the state, carefully following CDC recommendations on capacity. When it came to the pandemic, DeSantis was squarely a CDC guy.

DeSantis did what he thought was best for the people of his state.  I do not fault him for this.  I fault him for lying about it.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 03:45:41 pm by Right_in_Virginia »