Author Topic: “I would have fired somebody like Fauci” – Gov DeSantis takes on Trump in new interview with Piers M  (Read 1588 times)

Offline LMAO

Granted @LMAO But some remembered the reptilian aspect of Fauci during the Aids epidemic in 84 during Reagans term.

I think a better line of attack would be his reluctance to squelch and control riots using the “Insurrection Act.”

And before his defenders rush in and claim he didn’t have that authority, the Insurrection Act itself says otherwise:

Sec. 333. Interference with State and Federal law
The President, by using the militia or the armed forces, or both, or by any other means, shall take such measures as he considers necessary to suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy, if it--
(1) so hinders the execution of the laws of that State, and of the United States within the State, that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law, and the constituted authorities of that State are unable, fail, or refuse to protect that right, privilege, or immunity, or to give that protection; or

https://policy.defense.gov/portals/11/documents/hdasa/references/insurrection_act.pdf
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 04:52:42 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

I declare b.s. @Right_in_Virginia   DeSantis did NOT follow Fauci's directive after most said enough.  That is a gross inaccuracy!  Trump on the other hand continued to march to Fauci's orders.

That's right. DeSantis might not have stayed open (which damn few did), but he sure as hell caught all sorts of flack for being one of the earliest to open back up. And he withstood it.

Offline Kamaji

That's right. DeSantis might not have stayed open (which damn few did), but he sure as hell caught all sorts of flack for being one of the earliest to open back up. And he withstood it.

:thumbsup:

Offline libertybele

I think a better line of attack would be his reluctance to squelch and control riots using the “Insurrection Act.”

And before his defenders rush in and claim he didn’t have that authority, the Insurrection Act itself says otherwise:

Sec. 333. Interference with State and Federal law
The President, by using the militia or the armed forces, or both, or by any other means, shall take such measures as he considers necessary to suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy, if it--
(1) so hinders the execution of the laws of that State, and of the United States within the State, that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law, and the constituted authorities of that State are unable, fail, or refuse to protect that right, privilege, or immunity, or to give that protection; or

https://policy.defense.gov/portals/11/documents/hdasa/references/insurrection_act.pdf

Amen, Amen, Amen!!!! Trump stated twice that he was going to put an end to the rioting .... he walked with a Bible in hand over to St. John's which had been vandalized and made comment to that effect .... nothing was done.  The rioting continued and consequently some of our cities burned, monuments vandalized, police defunded, etc., etc.

But God forbid if he declared the Insurrection Act as it may have hurt the rude orange man with billions' chances of re-election!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

RDS may have his own problems in this regard, especially for his actions early in the pandemic.  But Trump is Mr. Vax, Mr. Lockdown and Mr. Free Lunch when it comes to his pandemic policy.  Pointing to DeSantis actions does not erase what Trump did.

His handling of the pandemic is the basis of his "free state of Florida" schtick --- and DeSantis is growing more schrill in his attempt to rewrite the facts.

DeSantis did what he thought was best for Florida based on data and recommendations from medical "experts" at changing points in time.  No one would fault him for that.  What people will fault RDS for is rewriting his pandemic hagiography solely to find an avenue of attack against President Trump.  It adds fuel to the growing fire that ---- for lack of a better way to say it ---- he's an ugrateful, lying, overrated troll who needs to get back in his lane.

DeSantis is either taking some very bad direction ---- or he, himself, is just plain stupid.

As for President Trump, he, too, did what he thought was best for the whole of the American nation with the added task of factoring in global considerations with data and recommendations from the medical "experts".

The difference is Trump owns his decisions ---- he doesn't hide them, rewrite them or run from them.  Trump also has the receipts for how and why decisions were made ---- and it's becoming crystal clear that the f*uck-ups (deliberate or not) lie with the data and recommendations from the legacy medical bureaucracy "experts" and their collaborative cohorts in media censorship.

All things considered, Trump has the stronger position.

@massadvj

"Ron DeSoros used a 100 year old WW2 veteran as a vaccine Guinea pig on live TV. The veteran, Henry Sayler, died 4 months later. But sure, DeSantis would have fired Fauci." (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/rinohuntah1776/status/1638542704664797184

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
"Ron DeSoros used a 100 year old WW2 veteran as a vaccine Guinea pig on live TV. The veteran, Henry Sayler, died 4 months later. But sure, DeSantis would have fired Fauci." (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/rinohuntah1776/status/1638542704664797184

You mean the vaccine Trump approved and said to get?
The Republic is lost.

You mean the vaccine Trump approved and said to get?

Facts matter @Free Vulcan   The FDA approved the vaccine(s) and Trump made them available on an emergency basis to high risk groups, only. Everything else happened courtesy of the Biden Administration.

You should have fought for Trump.  :shrug:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Facts matter @Free Vulcan   The FDA approved the vaccine(s) and Trump made them available on an emergency basis to high risk groups, only. Everything else happened courtesy of the Biden Administration.

So basically DeSantis should not follow Trump's judgement on policy matters like COVID.

Thank you for the honesty.
The Republic is lost.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

As for President Trump, he, too, did what he thought was best for the whole of the American nation with the added task of factoring in global considerations with data and recommendations from the medical "experts".

The difference is Trump owns his decisions ---- he doesn't hide them, rewrite them or run from them.

@massadvj

So you are happy with the way Trump handled the pandemic, including his giving Fauci the presidential medal, encouraging massive fraud with the free money to businesses, and his continued support for the vaccine?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:29:36 pm by massadvj »

Offline roamer_1

Tumpy lost this argument when he allowed anti-virals to be outlawed... And I reckon hundreds of thousands died needlessly.

He folded like a two-dollar lawn chair.

Offline cato potatoe

Pray tell, what is the significance of a 100 year old dying several months after getting a covid shot?   :pondering:

You know, according to Trump, our governor was "gutless" for not revealing his vaccination status.  Calling all trumpies:  When did you last receive your miracle vax? 

So you are happy with the way Trump handled the pandemic, including his giving Fauci the presidential medal, encouraging massive fraud with the free money to businesses, and his continued support for the vaccine?

I understand 20/20 hindsight and the distortions it can create.

I can't tell from your post if you luxuriate in the distortions you cite because they fit your agenda or if you simply don't understand the importance of guarding against the manipulation inherent in 20/20 hindsight.

Which is it? @massadvj

Tumpy lost this argument when he allowed anti-virals to be outlawed... And I reckon hundreds of thousands died needlessly.

He folded like a two-dollar lawn chair.

Trump early in the pandemic backed the idea of using anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19. The FDA briefly allowed use before in June, 2020 withdrawing an emergency use authorization, saying it had determined hydroxychloroquine was not effective.  Trump subsequently began the process of folding use of hydroxychloroquine into "Right to Try".

Should have fought for Trump.  :shrug:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 07:15:30 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline roamer_1

Trump early in the pandemic backed the idea of using anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19. The FDA briefly allowed use before in June, 2020 withdrawing an emergency use authorization, saying it had determined hydroxychloroquine was not effective.  Trump subsequently began the process of folding use of hydroxychloroquine into "Right to Try".

Should have fought for Trump.  :shrug:

I was *FOR* him over HCQ. Then he folded like a cheap suit, and I got stuck sucking horse paste. THAT's on him. With hundreds of thousands of needless deaths.

So I really don't give a shit about him in this regard.
He folded on it, the chickensh*t.

Just desserts.

Offline LMAO

Pray tell, what is the significance of a 100 year old dying several months after getting a covid shot?   :pondering:

Yeah that was a strange line of attack. A 100 year old dying. That just proves DeSantis is a murderer. Maybe the fella died because was...100y/o

Maybe Trump can file the charge.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:21:33 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline corbe

The glass is always half full. 

In another universe the dems didn't impeach Trump twice and instead kissed his ring, played nice and they got everything they wanted much to the further dismay of the Conservatives.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

The glass is always half full. 

That's why I prefer drinking from the jug.  happy77
If the jug is half full, you're doing alright.  :laugh:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I think the “firing Fauci” thing is kind of Monday morning quarterbacking

We all have the benefit of knowing now how highly compromised Anthony Fauci is. But  was that luxury known in early to mid 2020?

Not that I don’t think Anthony Fauci should be immediately removed from his position. But that’s not an easy position for a sitting  president to make during the early shock of Covid.

Normally, I would agree it sounds like Monday morning quarterbacking. But DeSantis was publicly and loudly opposing Fauci in 2020 while Trump was still in office.  There were a lot of pretty bitter public disputes, especially over DeSantis' decision to open Florida schools in the fall of 2020.  I think his claim that he would have fired Fauci is pretty credible.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I can't tell from your post if you luxuriate in the distortions you cite because they fit your agenda or if you simply don't understand the importance of guarding against the manipulation inherent in 20/20 hindsight.

Which is it? @massadvj

I opposed the lockdowns and bailouts from the very beginning.

Offline LMAO

I opposed the lockdowns and bailouts from the very beginning.

As was I. Very early in the pandemic, we had infectious disease doctors that thought it was being overblown. I wonder who got to them to make them change their minds?

Barry Goldwater

Online Maj. Bill Martin

First, doing "what he thought was best" is utterly worthless.  I don't care if he or any other politician did what he thought was best - What I care about is whether what they did was actually the best thing to do.  That's why we elect them, right? To do the right thing, not just what they thought was the right thing.  Any idiot can do that. Hell, even leftists do that.  The problem is that their idea of what is the best thing to do is all messed up.

The difference is Trump owns his decisions ---- he doesn't hide them, rewrite them or run from them.

No, the difference is that Trump will refuse to admit when he's done something wrong, and so doubles down rather than correcting his own mistakes.  And that's even less forgivable. Nobody gets everything right the first time, but smart people figure out when they're on the wrong course and correct it. Narcissistic and/or dumb people just double down on their mistakes. Like giving a Presidential Medal of Freedom to the guy who gave such crappy advice.

The excuse for this is that Trump got bad advice from the "legacy medical bureaucracy", so it isn't his fault.  But there was plenty of alternative advice out there, including from  head of the CDC itself, Dr. Redfield..  But Trump chose to disregard Redfield and instead go with Fauci. That is entirely on Trump.

In contrast to Trump doubling down on stupidity, DeSantis was the first governor to dissent publicly from the CDC and reverse course.  Most importantly, the data on which DeSantis relied to break from the CDC and reverse course was just as available to Trump.  The difference is that Trump doesn't like details, doesn't read, and so never looked at the data himself to make his own decisions.  DeSantis looked at all the information out there, concluded from his review that Fauci was wrong and that others were correct, and put his state on the right path as the first to reopen all of its schools.

All things considered, Trump has the stronger position.

Yeah, because doubling down on stupid is always preferable to making rapid corrections and getting yourself back on the right course.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 02:48:13 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Normally, I would agree it sounds like Monday morning quarterbacking. But DeSantis was publicly and loudly opposing Fauci in 2020 while Trump was still in office.  There were a lot of pretty bitter public disputes, especially over DeSantis' decision to open Florida schools in the fall of 2020.  I think his claim that he would have fired Fauci is pretty credible.

Based on my own epidmelogical background and dealing with the CDC say 1979-1980,  I here on TBR, provided very clear suggestions on how to handle the pandemic.  And the intergral part of that was isolating and protecting the elderly, and the most at risk....  allowing normal people to establish and develop herd immunity, with the aid of common sense disinfection and protection.    What Fauci, with Trump's endorsement , and the rest of public health community did was actually prolong the thing, based on my estimates 6 months to a year.

Kind of like last night on Tucker Carlson....  His A Block pretty much followed what I have been screaming for years around the Chicoms Russia, and currency realignment.

Sorry  I am in gloat mode right now. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

Kind of like last night on Tucker Carlson....  His A Block pretty much followed what I have been screaming for years around the Chicoms Russia, and currency realignment.

And the future is created while we fight amongst ourselves who had the better/worse Covid response from three years ago.

Little of what you posted here has been covered, if at all, in the news. There are more interested in Stormey Daniels/Donald Trump/Alvin Bragg saga

Bread and circuses. We will keep the rabble blissfully  unaware.

Barry Goldwater

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Based on my own epidmelogical background and dealing with the CDC say 1979-1980,  I here on TBR, provided very clear suggestions on how to handle the pandemic.  And the intergral part of that was isolating and protecting the elderly, and the most at risk....  allowing normal people to establish and develop herd immunity, with the aid of common sense disinfection and protection.    What Fauci, with Trump's endorsement , and the rest of public health community did was actually prolong the thing, based on my estimates 6 months to a year.

Sorry  I am in gloat mode right now.

There was plenty of information publicly available within the first couple months of the pandemic that showed the CDC had gotten it materially wrong.  I noticed it first in my own state (Ohio) statistics in early April when the government numbers of the number currently infected, the purported 2% fatality rate, and number of actual deaths (allowing for lag time) weren't even close to adding up. It was very clear early on that the disease was much less fatal than the CDC had claimed when it made its initial recommendations for a shutdown.  All you had to do was look at the data that the government itself was producing.  And yet, rather than sticking to the idea of just "flattening the curve" The CDC doubled down and made those restrictions long-term.

The other thing that quickly became very obvious was that the death rate for anyone not in a high risk group was incredibly low. That was easily apparent to anyone who did a modest amount of reading by May/June 2020 at the very latest.

I also think it was fundamentally flawed to look at the pandemic and the appropriate response solely as a medical/health problem, which is exactly what people like Trump did in saying that they were going to listen to "follow the science.". That was a complete and unjustifiable abdication of executive responsibility.

In making any policy, you always weigh the costs versus the benefits.  Looking only at the health care side of things meant that you were only looking at the medical benefits of the CDC recommendation, but completely ignoring the social and economic cost of those recommendations.  That includes everything from lost enjoyment of life, to people having their economic futures turned upside down, to children losing out on critical years of social development time, and even teenagers and young adults just having fun like they're supposed to.  Elderly people were dying completely alone, separate from any family, because of the damn CDC recommendations.

Hell, that wasn't entirely even Fauci's fault.  He was just a medical doctor, so his job was to make purely medical recommendations.  It was the job of our elected leaders to balance the benefits of those medical recommendations with the social and economic costs of a lockdown.

So we sacrificed all of that - gave none of it any weight at all - In the name of "following the science".  Trump is as guilty of that as anyone. Of course, not having little kids in school, and having complete freedom in his social life meant that he didn't feel that as much as did the rest of us ordinary people.

I absolutely despise the man for that abdication of leadership, and what it did to this country.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 03:52:41 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »