Author Topic: Army Innovations Break Through with Range-Doubling, Course Correcting Artillery Attack  (Read 97 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Army Innovations Break Through with Range-Doubling, Course Correcting Artillery Attack

The “shaped trajectory” is a massive development as guidance technology can enable a 155mm round to detect an obscured target and maneuver into position to destroy it.
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONUPDATED:MAR 13, 2023ORIGINAL:MAR 2, 2023

By Kris Osborn - President & Editor-In-Chief, Warrior Maven

If a mechanized armored unit were approaching uneven terrain in a move-to-contact with the enemy, yet large amounts of weaponry and enemy force concentrations were obscured from view beyond a ridge, how could the advancing forces attack? Without a linear approach or line-of-sight target trajectory, a heavily armed armored unit might need a drone to receive intelligence about enemy forces on the other side of a hill.

Should the armored column learn of the location of the enemy forces on the other side of the hill, they may have few attack options apart from calling for a drone strike or firing a mortar or artillery with an upward trajectory to descend upon the enemy.

Essentially, options in this kind of scenario might be limited. Just how would an artillery weapon, for instance, attack an enemy vehicle on the other side of a mountain or beneath a bridge? There are few options without entering a direct line of enemy fire, and even then there may not be an opportunity to pinpoint the obscured or hidden target.

These circumstances, likely quite familiar throughout the history of ground war, have presented ground war commanders with particular tactical challenges. This often encountered predicament is exactly why the Army has partnered with Excalibur-maker Raytheon to engineer the new “shaped trajectory” 155mm precision-guided artillery round."

Shaped Trajectory 155mm Precision-Guided Artillery Round
Some of the technical specifics are of course not available for security reasons, yet the round is engineered with an advanced ability to change course in flight and maneuver itself into position to kill an otherwise unreachable target.

https://warriormaven.com/land/army-innovations-range-doubling-course-correcting-artillery-attack
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson