Author Topic: How Public Schools’ ‘Equity’ Policies Make It Impossible For Students To Succeed  (Read 534 times)

Offline Kamaji

How Public Schools’ ‘Equity’ Policies Make It Impossible For Students To Succeed

At Equity High School, a composite of leftist policies found across the country, students are not allowed to compete at all.

BY: ANGELA MORABITO
MARCH 22, 2023

Woke school districts didn’t happen overnight. Instead, the left gradually chipping away at merit-based policies forced excellence to give way to so-called “equity.” Equity is an education jargon word that means lowering standards for students based on race.

Like a sickness with varying symptoms in each sufferer, equity has appeared in different districts through different policies. But one thing remains the same: Ideologues have never been satisfied with just one “equitable” change. Instead, they push for a slate of misguided reforms, with the goal of remaking the entire system so no one student can out-compete any other, because students are not allowed to compete at all.

Let’s look at the end game of equity in education: Welcome to Equity High, a composite of leftist policies found across the country, combined in one hypothetical place to see the combined results.

Equity High School offers no honors classes, like Culver City High School in California. For students who excel in any subject, tough luck: They will have no choice but to take classes taught at a level that doesn’t challenge them or develop their talents.

For students who slack off, however, Equity High School might sound like a dream: The school never gives out F grades. A Minnesota middle school did away with F grades in 2021 as part of a plan to confront “systemic racism,” and several districts prohibited teachers from issuing F grades during the pandemic.

The content of classes at this school deviates substantially from the core educational subjects. In math class, students are taught to examine their feelings and others’ (a Pennsylvania school district is considering using this sort of math curriculum). Social studies courses indoctrinate students with critical race theory. Science classes don’t teach the biological differences between males and females, because doing so would be “transphobic” in the eyes of leftist administrators.

Classrooms are chaotic because “restorative justice” — or ending consequences for bad behavior — has replaced true discipline. In Montgomery County Public Schools, Maryland, restorative justice policies led to students meeting in “conflict resolution circles,” where there seems to be no distinction made by adults between right and wrong.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2023/03/22/how-public-schools-equity-policies-make-it-impossible-for-students-to-succeed/

Online LMAO

When  society works to achieve equality, what that means is an open playing field  for people to try to pursue their interests, talents, and abilities

Equity is a curse. That means dropping the rest of society down to the least common denominator.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Because behind all that smoke is just Marxist revolutionary doctrine, which pulls from the top down, not the bottom up till we are back to Kings and Serfs.

Their Diversity, Inclusion and Equity, in the aptly named acronym DIE, is just the old Oppressors and Oppressed dialectic repackaged for modern times. They can't do rich and poor anymore because the rich are mostly woke left globalists trying to create the world govt dictatorship.
The Republic is lost.

Online unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
Because behind all that smoke is just Marxist revolutionary doctrine, which pulls from the top down, not the bottom up till we are back to Kings and Serfs.

Their Diversity, Inclusion and Equity, in the aptly named acronym DIE, is just the old Oppressors and Oppressed dialectic repackaged for modern times. They can't do rich and poor anymore because the rich are mostly woke left globalists trying to create the world govt dictatorship.

About 60 years ago, Kurt Vonnegut wrote a story about
a society that banned discrimination based on not just ethnicity, etc.,
but also on ability.

The government made strong people wear weights.
The government made agile people wear springs to make them awkward.
The government made smart people wear headphones
that made them hear loud noises every few seconds.

And to enforce all this, the government had armed agents
roaming around everywhere.
Any time they found someone not wearing their handicaps,
the agent would shoot them on sight.

That pretty well illustrates today's "equity" movement.
It inflicts handicaps on EVERYONE,
EXCEPT the rulers, who have godlike authority!

If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Online mountaineer

Nancy Pearcey
@NancyRPearcey
Rochelle Gutiérrez (U of Illinois): Math perpetuates white privilege because it is Eurocentric.
"Curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks & other Europeans."
4:19 PM · May 23, 2023

Gordon Waugh
@boboosta
I was in a meeting with college educators. I said, “Well, there’s been quite a lot of research on that topic that contradicts your statement.” The speaker responded: “We cannot believe that because the scientific method was invented by white men.”
5:16 PM · May 23, 2023
July 26, 2020
Does Mathematics = Western Imperialism?
By Nancy Pearcey
American Thinker

Is mathematics next on the chopping block to be deconstructed as a form of "Western imperialism"?

A young woman describing herself as a teacher, Ph.D. student, and "social justice change agent," recently gained notoriety for tweeting, "The idea of 2+2 equaling 4 is cultural," a product of "western imperialism/colonialism." 

Yes, even mathematics, held up as the most objective and neutral of disciplines, is being reshaped by critical theory, which claims that all ideas are social constructions by groups using their power to advance their own interests.

This is not just the inflammatory language of young social justice warriors.  Alan Bishop, who teaches at Cambridge University, wrote an article titled "Western Mathematics: The Secret Weapon of Cultural Imperialism," in which he deplores "the process of cultural invasion in colonised countries by western mathematics." ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Nancy Pearcey
@NancyRPearcey
Rochelle Gutiérrez (U of Illinois): Math perpetuates white privilege because it is Eurocentric.
"Curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks & other Europeans."
4:19 PM · May 23, 2023

Gordon Waugh
@boboosta
I was in a meeting with college educators. I said, “Well, there’s been quite a lot of research on that topic that contradicts your statement.” The speaker responded: “We cannot believe that because the scientific method was invented by white men.”
5:16 PM · May 23, 2023

:facepalm2: