Author Topic: Twenty Years After the U.S. Invasion of Iraq.. Byron York  (Read 114 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Twenty Years After the U.S. Invasion of Iraq.. Byron York
« on: March 22, 2023, 05:55:30 pm »
Twenty Years After the U.S. Invasion of Iraq
Byron York

It's been two decades since, on March 19, 2003, United States forces invaded Iraq. President George W. Bush ordered the invasion to neutralize what he said was the threat of weapons of mass destruction posed by Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. Except it turned out Saddam did not have weapons of mass destruction. U.S. forces searched and searched and searched, and never found them. In all, 4,586 American servicemen and women died in the war, and 32,455 were wounded.

It was the largest military and national security blunder of anyone's lifetime, a mistake so enormous it beggared belief. In the years after, Bush wrote in his memoir, just thinking about it made him sick. "I knew the failure to find WMD would transform public perception of the war," Bush wrote. "While the world was undoubtedly safer with Saddam gone, the reality was that I had sent American troops into combat based in large part on intelligence that proved false. That was a massive blow to our credibility -- my credibility -- that would shake the confidence of the American people. No one was more shocked or angry than I was when we didn't find the weapons. I had a sickening feeling every time I thought about it. I still do."

Bush had spent months before the invasion making the case that Saddam had weapons. He passed two big milestones in that effort. The first came in October 2002, when the House and Senate voted to authorize the use of military force in Iraq. The House vote was 296 to 133 in favor of the war. Republicans were nearly unanimously in favor of the war sought by a GOP president: 215 voted in favor, with just six opposed. On the Democratic side, 81 Democrats voted with Bush, while 126 voted against.

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/byronyork/2023/03/22/twenty-years-after-the-us-invasion-of-iraq-n2620966
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Twenty Years After the U.S. Invasion of Iraq.. Byron York
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 06:47:53 pm »
I thought Bush just wanted to take out Saddam because he tried to kill his dad.