Author Topic: Wars in Iraq and Syria cost half a million lives, nearly $3T: report  (Read 149 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wars in Iraq and Syria cost half a million lives, nearly $3T: report
By Meghann Myers
 Friday, Mar 17

The U.S. military is about to surpass 20 years since invading Iraq, a war that has cost more than 550,000 lives, and nearly $1.8 trillion, according to a report released Wednesday.

The Costs of War project predicted the dollar amount will swell to $2.89 trillion by 2050, when factoring in the cost of caring for veterans of the Iraq war, and subsequent operations in Iraq and Syria to counter ISIS.

“The Bush administration was convinced and assured the American people and the world that the war would have few casualties of all kinds — civilian and military — and would lead to quick victory,” instead of stretching for years, said Neta C. Crawford, the project’s co-director, in a statement on the ongoing research effort from the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs at Brown University.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/03/17/wars-in-iraq-and-syria-cost-half-a-million-lives-nearly-3t-report/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Wars in Iraq and Syria cost half a million lives, nearly $3T: report
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 03:39:44 pm »
 ////00000////

Where's the oil that Ol' Man Cheney promised to Haliburton?  We didn't liberate the Iraqi's to build Disney World Baghdad.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Wars in Iraq and Syria cost half a million lives, nearly $3T: report
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 05:50:16 pm »
As I remember, opponents of the Ukraine war recently argued that the $100B we've spent or pledged to Ukraine is twice as much as we spent in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nice to see that argument blown to bits.