Author Topic: Navy’s new ‘Project OpenShip’ aims to swiftly apply AI to data captured by vessels at sea  (Read 87 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy’s new ‘Project OpenShip’ aims to swiftly apply AI to data captured by vessels at sea
Members of Task Force Hopper recently launched a new program to build “low lift, high impact” artificial intelligence and machine learning applications. DefenseScoop was briefed on this effort.
BY
BRANDI VINCENT
MARCH 20, 2023

SAN DIEGO, Calif. — As they work to streamline information sources and operationalize artificial intelligence and machine learning capabilities across the Navy’s entire surface fleet, members of Task Force Hopper recently launched a new program to build “low lift, high impact” AI and ML applications that can generate value from the heaps of data captured on ships every day, according to Capt. Pete Kim.

Kim has led the task force as its director since Hopper was first launched in 2021 to accelerate AI across Naval Surface Force organizations — a massive enterprise that performs many different duties to prepare, maintain, equip and staff U.S. warships before they are deployed to their respective fleet commands for specific military missions.

“I’d like to talk about Project OpenShip — it’s something we’re pretty excited about,” Kim told DefenseScoop last week in an exclusive interview at the facility near San Diego where Hopper is headquartered.

“It’s an effort to kind of integrate datasets to build better decision tools for sailors at sea,” he explained.

https://defensescoop.com/2023/03/20/navys-new-project-openship-aims-to-swiftly-apply-ai-to-data-captured-by-vessels-at-sea/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson