State Chapters > California

Biden will let California lead on electric trucks, despite industry protest

<< < (2/6) > >>

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on March 21, 2023, 04:09:04 pm ---Earthquakes will be especially interesting since the infrastructual impacts will reek havoc on the electrical grid.  This will amount to not having any IC engines to do any respone, cleanup, or rebuilding.

They basically will turn a recovery that normally takes a few years into decade(s). If at all

--- End quote ---
If California doesn't allow IC engined vehicles, they will have to fend for themselves.

Timber Rattler:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 22, 2023, 01:42:36 am ---If California doesn't allow IC engined vehicles, they will have to fend for themselves.

--- End quote ---

But therein lies the problem, California (although it's population is shrinking) is still a massive enough market, and politically powerful, that the auto companies (being short-sighted and greedy as they are) will bend under the pressure to comply, which is what Biden and his regime is counting on.  The companies will have to make (and are already making) difficult choices about which products to focus on, and ultimately go with EV across the board to satisfy those political demands, the ultimate consequences for the country be damned.  They can't, and won't make, one kind of car for California and New York, and another kind of car for the rest of the country.  It's economically unfeasible.  Hence, in Biden's eyes, California is leading by establishing de facto National dictates.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: Timber Rattler on March 22, 2023, 10:31:09 am ---But therein lies the problem, California (although it's population is shrinking) is still a massive enough market, and politically powerful, that the auto companies (being short-sighted and greedy as they are) will bend under the pressure to comply, which is what Biden and his regime is counting on.  The companies will have to make (and are already making) difficult choices about which products to focus on, and ultimately go with EV across the board to satisfy those political demands, the ultimate consequences for the country be damned.  They can't, and won't make, one kind of car for California and New York, and another kind of car for the rest of the country.  It's economically unfeasible.  Hence, in Biden's eyes, California is leading by establishing de facto National dictates.

--- End quote ---
Well, they can sell cars to California, then, but not to me. And I am one of millions who live where the damned things will not get you from point A to point B.

Fishrrman:
Rattler strikes with:
"They can't, and won't make, one kind of car for California and New York, and another kind of car for the rest of the country.  It's economically unfeasible."

No, it's not.
Automakers could simply drop California as a market. The rest of "the market" is significantly larger.

Toyota is already on record as saying they have no intention of going completely "electric", and that ice vehicles have a place in that company's future.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see Toyota go after BOTH markets.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 22, 2023, 10:36:52 am ---Well, they can sell cars to California, then, but not to me. And I am one of millions who live where the damned things will not get you from point A to point B.

--- End quote ---

As compared to selling cars to the remaining hundreds of millions?  WADR, my friend, I suspect you would get the short end of the bargain on that one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version