Author Topic: MUNITIONS RETURN TO A PLACE OF PROMINENCE IN NATIONAL SECURITY  (Read 166 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
MUNITIONS RETURN TO A PLACE OF PROMINENCE IN NATIONAL SECURITY
VASABJIT BANERJEE AND BENJAMIN TKACHMARCH 16, 2023

Munitions are the currency of exchange in armed conflicts. The existing acquisition and procurement process exposes the defense industrial base to significant short- and long-term risks: hampering America’s capacity to surge production and impairing military effectiveness in a sustained peer or near-peer conflict. At present, the availability of ammunition is becoming a key determinant of which side has the advantage in the Russo-Ukrainian War. Wargames conducted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies call into question the ability of the United States and its partners to sustain high rates of fire because of significant equipment losses, limited munition inventories, and low munition production rates.

The U.S. government’s investment in munition manufacturing, storage, inspection, and maintenance ebb and flow has been based on conflict engagements, a cycle consistently leaving the defense industrial base unable to immediately meet production surges. The health of the U.S. defense industrial base was also undermined by decades of consolidation, inconsistent funding, capital diversification, supply chain fragility, labor limitations, and disruptions — raising concerns amongst analysts about its ability to rise to challenges.

Scholars have warned that pursuit of innovation under growing security demands may produce gaps in existing military capacities. Thus, limitations in U.S. and allied munition production — just to satisfy Ukraine’s ammunition demand — is a precursor of industrial limitations that may hamper U.S. military effectiveness if engaged with an adversary, such as China, that inflicts severe equipment and personnel losses. The acute inability to manufacture munitions is typified by the U.S. defense industrial base’s lack of manufacturing capacity to supply NATO rounds like 155 mm artillery ammunition, buying South Korean ones, and shipping U.S. stockpiles stored in Israel to Ukraine. Given its existing commitments and preparations for eventualities in Asia, the United States is also running low on stockpiled missiles from the Stinger to the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System.

https://warontherocks.com/2023/03/munitions-return-to-a-place-of-prominence-in-national-security/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: MUNITIONS RETURN TO A PLACE OF PROMINENCE IN NATIONAL SECURITY
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 02:47:20 pm »
Munitions may have moved up the ladder, but I doubt they are anywhere near the gods of global warming, CRT, or pronoun usage. :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 05:51:35 pm »
This has been a problem.for a long time, and I'm glad it is getting the attention it deserves.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 06:34:14 pm »
Too little attention has been paid to the national security harm caused by 30 years of Globalist, New World Order, World Trade Organization, US Chamber of Commerce, "Free Trade" policies.

Global Climate Change hysteria is also harming our national and economic security.

GOP needs a platform that includes domestic manufacturing and a domestic energy policies.

The Chi-coms know that America's abundant manufacturing,energy, and intellectual property resources were the key to the Allies winning WWI and WWII.  That's why they are so intent on destroying those resources in the US now.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright