Author Topic: Nature discovers that political endorsements reduce their scientific credibility  (Read 305 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Nature discovers that political endorsements reduce their scientific credibility
By Jo Nova

When the formerly esteemed journal Nature endorsed one side of politics in 2020, apparently it didn’t change any votes, but about a third of Trump supporters decided the science it published was politically biased too.  The loss of trust in Nature was so strong that it tarnished the whole field of US science. (Zhang et al)

There goes the public faith in peer reviewed “Experts”.

“Trump supporters who had been shown the summary of Nature’s editorial were less likely to trust Nature’s information on COVID-19, and also reported more mistrust in US scientists.”

Being actively political meant 154 years of scientific reputation disappeared just like that. In the graph below presumably* naive Trump supporters ranked Nature as mostly “informed” (marked in orange, of course).  The Trump supporters who saw the political endorsement (marked in red) suddenly, apparently saw Nature as more of a partisan rag than an impartial reporter of scientific truth.

https://joannenova.com.au/2023/03/nature-discovers-that-political-endorsements-reduce-their-scientific-credibility/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nature-discovers-that-political-endorsements-reduce-their-scientific-credibility
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

But, they're not backing down from the consequences of their own actions.  They would rather sacrifice real science to a false political narrative.  That should make them even less reliable than they are already.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Translation: they got their highly politicized mitts caught in the cookie jar, and are now trying to backpedal with amateur hour, six grade playground tactics of playing stupid and incredulous. For as long as they have to till people forget and then rachet up the agenda again.

The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

Politics bastardizes everything it touches

The two areas that politics should stay well away from is science and medicine.

Politics has infected both and destroyed both
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
LMAO posts:
"Politics bastardizes everything it touches
The two areas that politics should stay well away from is science and medicine."

Comrade LMAO, you are so naive.
Don't you understand that to The Party, EVERYTHING is political...?
And that "science" and "medicine" are just additional political tools to be utilized in The Party's onward march to achieve its objectives...?