Author Topic: Nuclear-powered sub Boise, docked since 2017, may get funds for overhaul by end of this year  (Read 117 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Nuclear-powered sub Boise, docked since 2017, may get funds for overhaul by end of this year
The Los Angeles-class sub has become a "poster child" for maintenance backlog, lawmaker says.
By   JUSTIN KATZ
on March 17, 2023 at 2:55 PM

WASHINGTON — The nuclear-powered attack submarine Boise (SSN-764) will remain in port for at least another year as the Navy eyes funding its long awaited maintenance availability at the end of 2023, a service spokesman told Breaking Defense.

The Navy’s new fiscal 2024 budget request includes funds to conduct an engineered overhaul of the Boise, a Los Angeles-class sub that launched back in 1991 but has sat in port since 2017 when a series of delays ultimately denied a timely maintenance availability at a public shipyard.

The boat has become the “poster child” for the Navy’s ship maintenance backlog, Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., said during a confirmation hearing this week for Nickolas Guertin, the president’s nominee to be the Navy’s acquisition executive.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/03/nuclear-powered-sub-boise-docked-since-2017-may-get-funds-for-overhaul-by-end-of-this-year/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson