Author Topic: MAGA supporters call for Gov. DeSantis to deploy National Guard to protect ex-president at Mar-a-Lag  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
DeSantis: All I know is Alvin Bragg is weaponizing his office and hurting ordinary New Yorkers

https://hotair.com/headlines/2023/03/20/desantis-all-i-know-is-alvin-bragg-is-weaponizing-his-office-and-hurting-ordinary-new-yorkers-n538068

If you're going to make a statement, that's the exact kind of statement you make. It would be foolish for DeSantis to speak on the specifics of an indictment that hasn't even happened yet. But it is perfectly appropriate for him to go after the Soros-backed prosecutor on his own merits.

Online libertybele

If you're going to make a statement, that's the exact kind of statement you make. It would be foolish for DeSantis to speak on the specifics of an indictment that hasn't even happened yet. But it is perfectly appropriate for him to go after the Soros-backed prosecutor on his own merits.

:yowsa:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

:thumbsup:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

It probably will survive a motion to dismiss - most NY trial judges are averse to granting those, particularly for a defendant like Trump who doesn't tick any of the MFM (most favored minority) boxes.

That being said, if he gets a dismissal or an acquittal, he should sue for malicious prosecution.
From what I've read, it seems that there may be a pretty good statute of limitations argument.  If so, that is the type of dismissal they'd be more likely to grant.

Offline Kamaji

From what I've read, it seems that there may be a pretty good statute of limitations argument.  If so, that is the type of dismissal they'd be more likely to grant.

If there is a good SoL argument, then I would tend to agree.  An SoL argument is usually pretty cut and dried, and so not particularly dependent on factual findings.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Many in the MAGA movement have a limited grasp of basic civics.

This is the one thing about Trump that kind of puts me over the edge.  I listen to him talk/read what he says, and come away thinking that the guy truly has no understanding of the way in which our constitutional/legal systems actually works.  I truly believe I had a better understanding of when I graduated hight school than he does today.

I cut him some slack on that in 2016 because he was new to politics, and wasn't a lawyer.  But I figured he'd have the brains and intellectual curiosity to pick it up as President.

But he never did.  I still hear him say stuff that reveals a complete lack of understanding of the mechanics of government and legal constraints.  And it truly makes me wonder what kind of guy never tried to figure it out but still feels comfortable just shooting from the hip.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 08:44:27 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
complete lack of understanding of the mechanics of government and legal.
constraints.  And it truly makes me wonder what kind of guy never tried to figure it out but still feels comfortable just shooting from the hip.

Or he just plain old doesn't care. I think it's that actually.

Online roamer_1

This is the one thing about Trump that kind of puts me over the edge.  I listen to him talk/read what he says, and come away thinking that the guy truly has no understanding of the way in which our constitutional/legal systems actually works.  I truly believe I had a better understanding of when I graduated hight school than he does today.

He does this on purpose, much of the time.

Take this instance - This whole thing came out of Tumpy's rumor mill - That is admotted now == There is no basis in fact that Tumpy is to be indicted.

BUT he used it to build all kinds of drama even to the point of leaving Desantis in a no win position - like the expectation that he call out the National Guard and lay down his political life in the service of Tumpy against a ridiculously laughable misdemeanor indictment...

And look at the feedback loop - People bought into it.

Offline cato potatoe

Isn’t it time for the snowbirds to fly home?  Go be with your people Donnie.  They have missed you.

Offline BellyAche

Mr. Trump has always liked to "fly by the seat of his pants," whether in his business dealings, or in flinging unsubstantiated conclusions to get his base all worked up. That's his personality, and that's why many folks like him. I guess supporters like seeing him balance on a tightrope, but it's irritating and unnerving to many in the GOP. And Trump can push the limit of incredulity.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Or he just plain old doesn't care. I think it's that actually.

I think that's exactly right.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If DeSantis calls in the National Guard to try to resist the federal government, he instantly becomes unelectable nationally.  Probably why some Trump supporters are urging it.
@Maj. Bill Martin

I know of no  one demanding  Miss DeSantis call in the NG. I  DO see people here,including me,mad  that  he  doesn't make a public announcement calling it a political ploy by the Dim Left in order to try to keep a brain-damaged criminal in the WH.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yup

NYPD can’t go to Florida to arrest him. And this type of charge isn’t up to a level to require a SWAT team

Many in the MAGA movement have a limited grasp of basic civics. I blame public education

@LMAO

That would include you and the other "Rude Orange Man" weasels. This is PURELY political.

It IS good to see people out themselves as  being in support of the DNC,though.

Offline mountaineer

I  DO see people here,including me,mad  that  he  doesn't make a public announcement calling it a political ploy by the Dim Left in order to try to keep a brain-damaged criminal in the WH.
But he did make a public statement: “But I do know this: The Manhattan district attorney is a Soros-funded prosecutor, and so he, like other Soros-funded prosecutors, they weaponize their office to impose a political agenda on society at the expense of the rule of law and public safety,” DeSantis told reporters during a news conference on Monday. ...

“I have no interest in getting involved in some type of manufactured circus by some Soros DA. He’s trying to do a political spectacle. He’s trying to virtue signal for his base. I’ve got real issues I got to deal with here in the state of Florida,” DeSantis said. ... NY Post via MSN
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
He does this on purpose, much of the time.

Take this instance - This whole thing came out of Tumpy's rumor mill - That is admotted now == There is no basis in fact that Tumpy is to be indicted.

BUT he used it to build all kinds of drama even to the point of leaving Desantis in a no win position - like the expectation that he call out the National Guard and lay down his political life in the service of Tumpy against a ridiculously laughable misdemeanor indictment...

And look at the feedback loop - People bought into it.

If this is truly just a figment of Trump's imagination then you have to really be in awe of the maddening genius of Trump's way of operating: do whatever it takes to keep yourself in the spotlight no matter what.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The Trump side needs to STHU and bite the bullet. This should be an easy case to win, then file for sanctions, RICO, or whatever else to get back at the NY/DOJ legal slime machine. Enough of the drama already.

@Free Vulcan

Grow the bleep UP!

This nonsense is not going to convince the dedicated Republican OR Dim voters to change their votes.

It is directed at the "undecided voters" who  these days seem to be the ones that decide who  gets elected. They really don't pay much,if any,attention to anything other than the headlines until right before  and election.

Trump is not guilty of these charges,and everybody that pays attention to politics knows what is going on,but we are really powerless to stop  it. That has to be done by higher courts.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Assuming this misdemeanor charge is filed, it really shouldn't survive a motion to dismiss. Then Trump should file a lawsuit for malicious prosecution against the Soros prosecutor.

@mountaineer

And  then the left will virtually explode with newspaper and video  articles about how "That rude rich man used his wealth to escape justice",and the hordes of casual voters will believe every  word  of it because "My tv doan lie ta me!"

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

i.e..   When we have grownups in the role of Leadership. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

If this is truly just a figment of Trump's imagination then you have to really be in awe of the maddening genius of Trump's way of operating: do whatever it takes to keep yourself in the spotlight no matter what.

It's his thing. He's a one trick pony.

A chaos con with a victim con chaser... Every time.
I can't believe folks can't see it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@sneakypete

@Maj. Bill Martin

I know of no one demanding  Miss DeSantis call in the NG.

Dude, that is literally the title of this thread, and is based on an article that quotes a Trump supporting radio host calling for DeSantis to call out the Guard.

I was just commenting directly on that.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Dude, that is literally the title of this thread, and is based on an article that quotes a Trump supporting radio host calling for DeSantis to call out the Guard.

I was just commenting directly on that.

@Maj. Bill Martin

That doesn't mean I have seen it anywhere else. I wrote I haven't seen it BECAUSE I haven't seen it.