Author Topic: Senators push DoD to approve recruits who’ve sought mental health care  (Read 112 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Senators push DoD to approve recruits who’ve sought mental health care
By Meghann Myers
 Thursday, Mar 16

Lawmakers argued this week that too many potential recruits are being barred from military service if they admit to seeking mental health treatment.

“We disqualify young men and women if they’ve seen a psychiatrist or if they’ve been on medicine for mental health and yet we want them to try to improve themselves,” said Sen. Dan Sullivan, R-Alaska, questioning Pentagon personnel officials during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Wednesday.

“That’s just the wrong message,” he said. “They’re either going to lie, or they’re going to not seek help.”

The military has been rethinking some of the conditions that have historically barred potential recruits from serving, amid a recruiting environment that has seen an ever-shrinking pool of young Americans who are both qualified for and interested in service. But despite growing awareness of how common – and treatable – most mental health issues are, a past diagnosis of depression, anxiety or other disorders can disqualify a would-be recruit.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/03/16/senators-push-dod-to-approve-recruits-whove-sought-mental-health-care/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
As if there aren't enough whack-jobs in the military to begin with. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson