Author Topic: Dershowitz: Indicting Trump Would Be Targeted Injustice  (Read 828 times)

Online mountaineer

Dershowitz: Indicting Trump Would Be Targeted Injustice
« on: March 18, 2023, 08:29:05 pm »
Indicting Trump Would Be Targeted Injustice
ALAN DERSHOWITZ
Wednesday, March 15, 2023
NY Sun
When I was coming of age in the 1950s Southern prosecutors would target civil rights workers and search for any possible violation of the law, no matter how technical. If they discovered or invented a violation, they would indict, prosecute, convict and sentence the target.

Often the violation would be of an obscure statute that had never before been deployed. To paraphrase the late Justice Robert Jackson, these anachronistic statutes and precedents lie around “like loaded weapons“ ready to be selectively enforced against political enemies.

That, precisely, is what we are now seeing with the Manhattan district attorney, Alvin Bragg, targeting the former president and current candidate, Donald Trump. Does anyone actually believe that if someone else were accused of paying hush money to avoid a sex scandal in the manner that Mr. Trump is suspected of doing, he would be prosecuted? 

After spending months searching the criminal code for a law that Mr. Trump might be accused of violating, Mr. Bragg has apparently landed on a highly questionable campaign contribution provision that has never before been used in a comparable situation.

As Jackson also presciently observed: “With the law books filled with a great assortment of crimes, a prosecutor stands a fair chance of finding at least a technical violation of some act on the part of almost anyone.”  ...

All decent people, whether politically opposed to Mr. Trump (as I am) or supportive of his candidacy, should be concerned about this weaponizing of the prosecutor’s office for the political purpose of preventing a potential candidate from running for office.  ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: Dershowitz: Indicting Trump Would Be Targeted Injustice
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 12:42:26 pm »
Dershowitz to Newsmax: Left-Wing McCarthyism Targets Trump Defenders
By Michael Katz   
Friday, 24 March 2023 08:48 PM EDT
Harvard law professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz told Newsmax on Friday that any judge who rules in favor of former President Donald Trump as he fights legal battles on several fronts will be subject to the kind of ridicule that suspected communists faced during the era of Sen. Joe McCarthy in the 1950s.

"If you are perceived as enabling Trump in the in the [left-wing] communities of New York and Washington, D.C., your personal life will be affected; and judges are influenced by that," Dershowitz told "Rob Schmitt Tonight." "That's why there cannot be a trial of Trump either in Manhattan or in the District of Columbia, because no judge will have the courage to throw out the case and have their personal and family and professional lives ruined.

"We are living in an age of left-wing McCarthyism, and I went through the original McCarthyism. This is extraordinarily dangerous." ...
https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/alan-dershowitz-left-wing-mccarthyism/2023/03/24/id/1113761/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 01:06:43 pm »
"We are living in an age of left-wing McCarthyism,....

So true,sooo true!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 02:46:16 pm »
"We are living in an age of left-wing McCarthyism,....
So true,sooo true!
The current version is way more hysterical and irrational than anything that went on during the 1950s.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 10:44:00 pm »
Dershowitz:
"We are living in an age of left-wing McCarthyism, and I went through the original McCarthyism"

You're right about the current left-wing attacks.

But...
Joe McCarthy was RIGHT in his time about the communists. They were nestled deep in many places.

I wouldn't be surprised if you flirted with joining The Party in your own youthful exuberance, Mr. Dershowitz.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 02:10:06 pm »
Dershowitz:
"We are living in an age of left-wing McCarthyism, and I went through the original McCarthyism"

You're right about the current left-wing attacks.

But...
Joe McCarthy was RIGHT in his time about the communists. They were nestled deep in many places.

I wouldn't be surprised if you flirted with joining The Party in your own youthful exuberance, Mr. Dershowitz.

@Fishrrman

Does ANYONE REALLY think the 'murikan left would have gotten their panties all in a wad like they did if there had been no truth to what McCarthy was claiming?

Online LMAO

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 02:15:42 pm »
Bragg is going after Trump with more vim and vigor than the violent criminals that plague NYC
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 04:04:28 pm »
Bragg is going after Trump with more vim and vigor than the violent criminals that plague NYC

@LMAO

Bragg and the entire leadership class in NYC go around in armored limos with armed guards everywhere they go,so violent criminals are not a threat to THEM.

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 05:14:35 pm »
Alan Dershowitz on Alvin Bragg’s Made-Up Crimes to Get Trump: This is the “Worst Example of Prosecutorial Abuse” – He “Could Lose His Bar License” (VIDEO)
By Jim Hoft Mar. 26, 2023 11:20 am70 Comments

Harvard law professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz joined Maria Bartiromo on Sunday Morning Futures this morning.

Dershowitz discussed the latest partisan lawsuit by rabid far-left Democrats to Get Trump.

Alan Dershowtiz argued that lawless Soros-funded Alvin Bragg could lose his law license if he indicts Trump on the made-up crime.

Alan Dershowitz: Well, I don’t think an indictment can actually come forward now after the comments made by Costello. He has proved that the main witness is going to be a perjuring liar on the witness stand. And that puts the District Attorney in a terrible position. If he uses Cohn as a witness, he could actually lose his bar license. It’s unethical to put a witness on the stand who you know is lying, and he has to know that Cohen will be lying.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/03/alan-dershowitz-warns-alvin-bragg-can-lose-his-law-license-if-he-uses-michael-cohen-as-his-lead-witness-to-get-trump/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 06:06:54 pm »
Bragg would have to do far, far worse than putting on a perjured witness to lose his license.  Just ask Jabbar Collins about ADA Michael Vecchione and whether Vecchione lost his license for using threats of physical violence to coerce from witnesses perjured statements against Mr. Collins.

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 08:25:13 pm »
Maybe Dershowitz is talking about the way the law should be while your example is the way liberals "interpret" the law. :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 08:28:07 pm »
All I know is the entire ideology is off the rails.

I can't think of anyone outside Dershowitz, Gabbard,  or Maher that speak with any sense anymore.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 09:19:12 pm »

I can't think of anyone outside Dershowitz, Gabbard,  or Maher that speak with any sense anymore.

Jonathan Turkey is another liberal who has opposed leftism.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 11:25:00 am »
Merged threads

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 06:39:11 pm »
Bragg would have to do far, far worse than putting on a perjured witness to lose his license.  Just ask Jabbar Collins about ADA Michael Vecchione and whether Vecchione lost his license for using threats of physical violence to coerce from witnesses perjured statements against Mr. Collins.

@Kamaji

Just like some citizens,some DA's are "More "Equal" than other DA's.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 08:05:33 pm »
Jonathan Turkey is another liberal who has opposed leftism.

Jonathan Turley sounded like a full blown conservative back during Barack Obama's regime.   happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 08:09:14 pm »
The jury will acquit him if the prosecution does not convince them.

////00000////

Dershowitz is a Trump-swab.  He is unloved on Nantucket because of his public support for Trump after January 6th.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 08:42:17 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 08:11:05 pm »

What's really scary, yet intriguing is how they get virtually unanimous support for EVERYTHING they submit as a Bill.

You'd swear that they get shown embarrassing information about themselves on Day 1...

Don't laugh @catfish1957    3 Letters.... F.B.I.   

I can't believe how bold they were to send an IRS collection agent to his house while they KNEW he was testifying before that Committee.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald