Author Topic: Big Tech pledged billions to ‘racial justice’ amid BLM protests. Now they’re laying off thousands  (Read 184 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Big Tech pledged billions to ‘racial justice’ amid BLM protests. Now they’re laying off thousands
March 17, 2023 | Laurel Duggan |  Print Article

Daily Caller News Foundation

America’s top tech companies collectively pledged billions to various causes purporting to advance racial justice and the Black Lives Matter movement following the murder of George Floyd. Now, as the tech industry has been battered, they’re laying off substantial portions of their workforce and closing job openings.

Since the peak of the Black Lives Matter movement in 2020, Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google and Microsoft have pledged at least $5 billion into nonprofits and business plans focused on racial equity since 2020, including massive funding commitments to black-owned businesses, according to data compiled by the Claremont BLM Funding Database. The companies have laid off tens of thousands of workers in recent months amid inflation, high interest rates and fear of a possible recession, according to CNBC News.

Following the murder of George Floyd by the police in May 2020 and the ensuing national protests, many companies made pledges to financially support the BLM movement and fight systemic racism and racial inequities; by August 2021, America’s top corporations had pledged a collective $49.5 billion to the movement, according to data compiled by The Washington Post.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/03/17/big-tech-pledged-billions-to-racial-justice-amid-blm-protests-now-theyre-laying-off-thousands-1341825/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, there's two ways to get "racial equity" in a company.
Hire more of the protected group, or fire everyone else.
Either way, the percentage numbers get closer.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis