Author Topic: Don't use the phrases 'pig out', 'eating like a horse' or 'wolfing down your dinner' because it make  (Read 600 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
What if you are a Furry?
--
Don't use the phrases 'pig out', 'eating like a horse' or 'wolfing down your dinner' because it makes obese people feel like ANIMALS, woke dietitians say

Using the phrase 'pig out' is no longer acceptable as it makes obese people feel like animals, according to new guidelines.

Talking about a 'war on obesity' makes overweight people feel like the enemy, and they should be referred to as 'individuals with higher weight', the British Dietetic Association (BDA) said.

In the latest attempt to address 'stigmatising' language, dietitians have taken aim at 'dehumanising' words for overeating.

They caution against the use of phrases like 'pig out', 'eating like a horse' or 'wolfing down dinner' which, they claim, may make people feel like animals.

Dr Adrian Brown, from the Centre of Obesity Research at University College London, who helped to draw up the guidelines, has even expressed concerns about terms like 'chubby' and 'morbidly obese'.

Tam Fry, chair of the National Obesity Forum, said: 'In producing "balanced guidelines" for their in-house communications, the authors have taken medical correctness to a slightly ridiculous level.

Dr Duane Mellor, a member of the BDA from Aston University, said: 'Living with a higher body weight is too often judged by others, and deemed to be less good or less able, which is simply wrong. 'We focus on weight and looks and not health and function.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11845031/Dont-use-phrases-pig-makes-obese-people-feel-like-ANIMALS-dietitians-say.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

Offline mountaineer

it makes obese people feel like animals
Aww, we don't want them to feel like animals (not that there's anything wrong with that). We just want them to feel like they need to make a change in their lifestyles: put down the fork and take a walk.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
You mean this wasn't PETA?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline dfwgator

F___ you, I'll say whatever the hell I feel like saying, got that?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"...it makes obese people feel like ANIMALS..."

As opposed to what?

Vegetables?

Minerals?

Just because they are efficient consumers of everything they can consume, doesn't mean they don't have manners or are slobs about it.

But if they even remotely qualify to be part of the genus Homo, yep, they fall into the Kingdom Animalia in current taxonomy.

We're all animals, each of us, just some of us are better at it than others.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Can I still use word and phrases like 'dumbass', 'moron', and 'dumber than a bag of hammers' for people that spout this stuff?
The Republic is lost.