Author Topic: Ending the Administration’s Hopium Habit  (Read 172 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Ending the Administration’s Hopium Habit
« on: March 17, 2023, 06:56:48 pm »
Ending the Administration’s Hopium Habit
By Christine Leah & Curtis McGiffin , Adam Lowther
March 17, 2023
A.Savin

In response to Vladimir Putin’s suspension of Russian participation in the New START nuclear arms control treaty and his promise to strengthen the Russian nuclear arsenal last week, the Biden administration’s Victoria Nuland, Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs, spoke to the media in order to encourage Russia to return to the Treaty. For many Russia hands, this weak response was dumbfounding. It was yet another illustration of what happens when a presidential administration develops a “hopium” habit.

If the October 2022 release of the National Security Strategy and its associated documents (National Defense Strategy, Nuclear Posture Review, and Missile Defense Review) were not already indication enough of the administration’s penchant for being hooked on hopium at the expense of dealing with reality, then Nuland’s statements certainly should offer a clear indication. It is worth noting that hopium addiction is as serious as any addiction to illicit drugs because it not only puts the addict at risk but the entire nation. Sadly, the Biden administration turned the White House into a hopium den where staff breath in idealism deeply as an escape from a world that does not share their values. 

The current administration is not alone in its addiction. President George H. W. Bush experimented with hopium as he sought to build a “New World Order” with a “thousand points of light.” In 2001, George W. Bush looked deeply into Vladimir Putin’s eyes, “got a sense of his soul,” and knew Putin was a man he could trust. President Bush’s hopium addiction would get so bad that his administration thought the United States could impose democracy on any country in the world. It was merely the hopium clouding their judgement.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/03/17/ending_the_administrations_hopium_habit_887860.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Ending the Administration’s Hopium Habit
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 08:00:16 pm »
The Hopium habit is bad enough...

It is the fallout from the Change-ium bombs that we need to really be concerned with.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis