Author Topic: BUDGET 2024: Navy’s New Tech Priorities Shortchange Amphibious Fleet, Expert Says  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
BUDGET 2024: Navy’s New Tech Priorities Shortchange Amphibious Fleet, Expert Says
3/16/2023
By Laura Heckmann   

Navy photo

The Navy is requesting a $5.8 billion investment in Columbia-class submarines in its fiscal year 2024 budget request to Congress, which includes the first of two increments of funding for the second submarine to be awarded in 2024.

The Department of the Navy’s request, which includes Navy and Marine Corps funding, tops out at $255.8 billion, an $11 billion — or 4.5 percent — increase above the recently enacted fiscal year 2023 budget, according to Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Budget Rear Adm. John Gumbleton. The Marine Corps’ portion of the 2024 request is $53.2 billion.

“[The President’s Budget] 2024 procures the second Columbia-class submarine, our nation's most survivable leg of the strategic triad and keeps us on track for the delivery of the first vessel in fiscal year 2028,” Undersecretary of the Navy Erik Raven told reporters at a budget briefing March 13.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2023/3/16/navys-new-tech-priorities-shortchange-amphibious-fleet-expert-says
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson