Author Topic: B-21 Raider Stealth Bomber: Can It Be Built Affordably?  (Read 136 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
B-21 Raider Stealth Bomber: Can It Be Built Affordably?
« on: March 17, 2023, 03:29:05 pm »
SMART BOMBS: MILITARY, DEFENSE AND NATIONAL SECURITY
B-21 Raider Stealth Bomber: Can It Be Built Affordably?

ByPhilip HandlemanPublished23 hours ago
B-21The B-21 Raider was unveiled to the public at a ceremony December 2, 2022 in..Palmdale, Calif. Designed to operate in tomorrow's high-end threat environment, the B-21 will play a critical role in ensuring America's enduring airpower capability. (U.S. Air Force photo)

Editor’s Note: This is another part of a multi-part series looking at the new B-21 Raider stealth bomber by renowned expert Philip Handleman. You can find all parts of the series here. 

While we don’t know exactly how much the B-21 will cost or how many will be built, then-U.S. Air Force acquisition chief William LaPlante in 2015 pegged the strategic bomber’s unit cost at $515 million in 2010 dollars, predicated on an aggregate buy of 100 bombers. Northrop Grumman prepared for a production rate of 15 a year, or an average of a little over one bomber per month, as a means to keep government budget-cutters at bay and production chugging along uninterrupted for a sustained period. If Northrop Grumman produces the new bombers at that rate, it would take just short of seven years to complete a total of 100.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/03/b-21-raider-stealth-bomber-can-it-be-built-affordably/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 03:30:00 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson