Author Topic: California bill would fund deportation defense for all immigrants, including those with felonies  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California bill would fund deportation defense for all immigrants, including those with felonies

By WENDY FRY | wendy@calmatters.org | CalMatters

PUBLISHED: March 16, 2023 at 8:37 a.m. | UPDATED: March 16, 2023 at 8:49 a.m.
In California, when the federal government tries to deport someone the funds for that person’s legal defense may come from an unlikely source: the state budget.

Each year the state sets aside about $45 million for grants to nonprofits that provide defense and other legal services to low-income immigrants and their families. So far, the program called One California has paid for legal representation for more than 1,000 Californians facing detention, deportation or family separation, state officials say.

The money also provides outreach, education services and “affirmative immigration relief,” which is when an immigrant applies for asylum directly to immigration authorities while not involved in deportation proceedings.

Not everyone can access these legal reserves. Immigrants who have been convicted of serious or violent felonies are excluded from accessing state funds for legal representation during removal proceedings.

https://www.times-standard.com/2023/03/16/california-bill-would-fund-deportation-defense-for-all-immigrants-including-those-with-felonies/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online LMAO

Reparations for its black citizens, and now paying for the defense of illegal immigrants for a State thats facing a $20 some billion dollar deficit and expected to get worse

Impressive
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy