General Category > Elections 2024

Trump's VP? Some in GOP already jockeying for consideration

(1/6) > >>

mystery-ak:
Trump's VP? Some in GOP already jockeying for consideration
By JILL COLVIN

OXON HILL, Md. (AP) — Trips to Mar-a-Lago. Glowing speeches. Front-row seats at major events.

The first Republican presidential primaries are nearly a year away and the candidate field is unsettled. But already, a shadow contest of another sort is underway with several Republicans openly jockeying to position themselves as potential running mates to Donald Trump, the early front-runner for the nomination.

“A lot of people are right now auditioning,” Trump boasted to supporters in Florida last month.

The mere mention of a running mate this early in the process is a departure from the traditional timeline of presidential primaries, where candidates typically spend the opening months of a campaign introducing themselves to voters and sharing their visions for the country. But as a former president, Trump needs no introduction and is eager to project an air of inevitability around his campaign, particularly as attention builds around Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who is widely seen as his toughest potential GOP rival.

Trump campaign officials insist that the vice presidential search is not something they have been actively discussing.

more
https://apnews.com/article/trump-election-2024-vice-president-2241ae16d6f8422076cdc57dcb87311e

corbe:
The race is on: Here’s what Trump is looking for in possible running mate

by Cami Mondeaux, Breaking News Reporter 
March 16, 2023 08:44 AM

The presidential primaries are just under a year away, and the list of possible candidates is far from settled. Still, former President Donald Trump is already eyeing options for his possible running mate.

Several Republicans are already positioning themselves as contenders to run alongside Trump, who has emerged as an early front-runner, while other party members mull a White House bid. The fight for the No. 2 position is a break from the typical primary process, as candidates usually announce a presidential bid for themselves before jockeying as one’s running mate.

“A lot of people are right now auditioning,” Trump told supporters at a campaign rally in Florida last month.

High-profile conservatives are flocking to Trump’s side as he kicks off his campaign, including lawmakers such as Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) and Elise Stefanik (R-NY), who went to cheer on Trump’s speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference earlier this month.

However, spokespeople for the former president say a vice presidential search is not under discussion.

“We appreciate all support for President Trump, but the clear focus is on making sure that he wins the Republican nomination and is well posited to win the general election in 2024,” said longtime Trump adviser Jason Miller, according to the Associated Press.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/what-trump-looking-for-possible-running-mate

sneakypete:
I still want to see DeSantis as his VP running mate.

I just don't want to see him as President right now. Trump can only serve 4 years,and he is the "bomb-thrower" we need in office  to start clearing out the trash.

I think DeSantis would make an excellent "clean up man",but I don't think he has the stones to do what needs to be done to destroy the power the left has over this country. For one thing,he would be concerned about his re-election chances if he pisses off the idiot voters who only pay attention to politics right before an election,and then decide to vote for whoever looked the cutest/most handsome,or who told them the lies that they want to hear.

Fishrrman:
Agree with Pete above.

If not DeSantis, it should be someone qualified to step right into the "Oval Office shoes" if required.
I'm thinking someone like Rand Paul, Jim Jordan, etc.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Fishrrman on March 16, 2023, 10:46:44 pm ---Agree with Pete above.

If not DeSantis, it should be someone qualified to step right into the "Oval Office shoes" if required.
I'm thinking someone like Rand Paul, Jim Jordan, etc.

--- End quote ---

@Fishrrman

I don't even know  if any of them would take the job if it were to be offered. Face it,taking on the political establishment and actually being serious about it would be a "Political death sentence".

Trump can  get away with this because he can only serve one term and really has nothing to lose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version