Author Topic: GOP lawmakers cringe over Trump’s effort to destroy DeSantis  (Read 1181 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP lawmakers cringe over Trump’s effort to destroy DeSantis
by Alexander Bolton - 03/16/23 6:00 AM ET

Senate Republicans are wincing over former President Trump’s early barrage of attacks against his chief rival, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), fearing they’re seeing a preview of a brutal primary to come that could leave both candidates weakened heading into the general election. 

GOP lawmakers acknowledge DeSantis needs to show he can take a punch and aren’t shocked Trump would take hard shots at a rival as the campaign heats up.

But some are surprised the former president is unloading such a heavy barrage before DeSantis is even in the race, and they worry that getting into a year-long mudslinging battle with Trump isn’t good look for the party heading into 2024.   

“I winced in 2016 and I’m wincing now,” said Sen. Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.) when asked about Trump’s hardball tactics. “That’s just because that’s not my style.

“I don’t think you’ll ever take the New York style out of Donald Trump. It’s too much to ask, he’s a fully-baked cake,” she said. 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3902508-gop-lawmakers-cringe-over-trumps-effort-to-destroy-desantis/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: GOP lawmakers cringe over Trump’s effort to destroy DeSantis
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 05:31:57 pm »
But some are surprised the former president is unloading such a heavy barrage before DeSantis is even in the race, and they worry that getting into a year-long mudslinging battle with Trump isn’t good look for the party heading into 2024.   

I think/hope that Trumps plan is to hit DeSantis hard now,so that he drops out of the race.

IF that happens soon,they can "kiss and make  up" in time  for Trump to name him as his VP running mate.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 05:34:47 pm »
Firing the cannons way too early. It looks like fear.

If DeSantis does enter the race, then it'll be 'Meh, just Trump talking again because he can't beat me.'
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 05:35:55 pm »
Why do they cringe?

Have memories of '16 faded that bad, of visuals of Cruz' wife jumping off a bridges, or his father killing Kennedy.

Or the little juvenile petty names he assigned to every single opponent?

I'd prefer DeSantis any day to this 70 something  year old frat boy.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 05:38:05 pm »
Besides the claims of a Soros endorsement or a old picture of DeSantis in his 20s at a party were some under age kids had alcohol, most of Trump’s attacks have been to attack DeSantis from the left

First entitlement reform. Now, ethanol subsidies. Next, it’ll be over Planned Parenthood funding
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 05:39:54 pm »
Firing the cannons way too early. It looks like fear.

If DeSantis does enter the race, then it'll be 'Meh, just Trump talking again because he can't beat me.'

Fully agree.  In '16 Trump had an "divide and conquer" opportunity, and he got away with his silly antics.  This time he has a record, and if any credence is given to the fiscal side of it, he's sunk.   RDS needs to paint him as the spending dim like pol who shot the deficit up quicker than any of his predecessors, including democrats.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 05:42:24 pm »
Besides the claims of a Soros endorsement or a old picture of DeSantis in his 20s at a party were some under age kids had alcohol, most of Trump’s attacks have been to attack DeSantis from the left

First entitlement reform. Now, ethanol subsidies. Next, it’ll be over Planned Parenthood funding

Yeah, that gets the ire up of the loony left, but he sure has got a good aim so far.  I don't think I have been this optimistic about one single POTUS candidate since Reagan.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 05:45:07 pm »
I think/hope that Trumps plan is to hit DeSantis hard now,so that he drops out of the race.

IF that happens soon,they can "kiss and make  up" in time  for Trump to name him as his VP running mate.

If DeSantis has any brains at all, he won't get within a country mile of any Trump administration.

Trump has no sense of loyalty to anyone other than himself, and he will turn on anyone whom he thinks has displayed even an iota of disloyalty.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 05:56:30 pm »
If DeSantis has any brains at all, he won't get within a country mile of any Trump administration.

Trump has no sense of loyalty to anyone other than himself, and he will turn on anyone whom he thinks has displayed even an iota of disloyalty.

I was looking at the wiki-entry around Trump's cabinet, and was astonished how many of them parted with him on bad terms.

I don't think it was any accident.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 05:57:22 pm »

@Kamaji

You mean like every other President that has ever lived?

You people used to criticize him for NOT firing unfaithful aides/employees,and now you want to criticize him for NOT firing aides/employees he doesn't even have yet.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2023, 05:57:28 pm »

Not only that, but if he does have presidential aspirations for the future, hitching his wagon to Donald Trump would destroy that chance

Either DeSantis throws his hat in the ring this year, or let Donald Trump have the nomination to go onto loose to Joe Biden in the general election and then try in 2028.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 06:01:30 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2023, 05:58:41 pm »
@Kamaji

Name one cabinet level person who worked for Reagan who slammed him afterwards?  They all loved the guy.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2023, 06:12:50 pm »
Name one cabinet level person who worked for Reagan who slammed him afterwards?  They all loved the guy.

@catfish1957

Has it ever occured to you that Reagan had better contacts in politics because being President wasn't his first "dance" with the public?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2023, 06:15:37 pm »
@catfish1957

Has it ever occured to you that Reagan had better contacts in politics because being President wasn't his first "dance" with the public?

But your comment was ..."You mean like every other President that has ever lived?"

I named one.  I hate dims, but I understand that folks working for HST really liked him too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2023, 06:21:11 pm »
@Kamaji

You people used to criticize him for NOT firing unfaithful aides/employees,and now you want to criticize him for NOT firing aides/employees he doesn't even have yet.

Thanks for pointing out that he's also a miserable manager with no real leadership skills.

He doesnt' fire those whom should be fired - like Fauci - and he spits on those whom he should see as allies - like DeSantis.

If it weren't for the Federalist Society and McConnell taking the lead in picking Supreme Court nominees, and Jared for negotiating the middle east agreements between Israel and several other countries, he wouldn't have much of any accomplishments for four years of being president.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2023, 06:22:30 pm »
@catfish1957

Trump has been living cheek-by-cheek with politicians and politics since he first cut his baby teeth in the NY real estate industry.  One cannot do real estate development in NYC without knowing all about politicians and politics.

Why do you keep making such pathetic excuses for Trump's so glaringly obvious failings?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2023, 06:22:35 pm »

However, as Desantis survives each of these petty sophomoric tests, he becomes more teflon. More bulletproof.

Tumpy is shooting his wad way early, right into his own foot.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2023, 06:26:02 pm »
Not only that, but if he does have presidential aspirations for the future, hitching his wagon to Donald Trump would destroy that chance

That is largely true of Cruz - I would have a hard time voting for him now, and he was Shining Boy.  :shrug:

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2023, 06:30:51 pm »
If the lawmakers are worried about Donald blowing another election, they can tell us about it, instead of nitpicking the other candidates.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2023, 06:42:32 pm »

Why do you keep making such pathetic excuses for Trump's so glaringly obvious failings?

They so deeply believe that if Donald Trump does not get another shot at the White House, America is finished. They believe that he is the only one, in a country of 330 some million people, that can only save America.

If you don’t support him, or critical in any way of him, that means that you want to destroy America

They never really define what saving America means except vague terms such as “taking on the Dims and RINOs” which, by the way, he didn’t do as president

It’s the American people at large, not politicians, that can save America

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2023, 06:55:50 pm »

Thanks for pointing out that he's also a miserable manager with no real leadership skills.

Yeah,causen EVERYBODIE working in a new field knows everything they need to know to be successful,right?

He doesnt' fire those whom should be fired - like Fauci - and he spits on those whom he should see as allies - like DeSantis.

Uhhh,it was DeSantis that "spit on him" by running against him.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2023, 06:58:30 pm »
Trump has been living cheek-by-cheek with politicians and politics since he first cut his baby teeth in the NY real estate industry.  One cannot do real estate development in NYC without knowing all about politicians and politics.

@Kamaji

Are you REALLY so ignorant that you  REALLY believe that donating to and partying with  politicians in is the same thing as BEING in politics?

By YOUR standards,Joe Biden must be a Ace Pilot in the USAF from spending so much  time flying in USAF aircraft,.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2023, 06:59:22 pm »
David Marcus
@BlueBoxDave

As the smart people with graduate degrees keep lecturing us…

9:56 AM · Mar 16, 2023

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 07:00:14 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2023, 07:00:33 pm »
They so deeply believe that if Donald Trump does not get another shot at the White House, America is finished. They believe that he is the only one, in a country of 330 some million people, that can only save America.

If you don’t support him, or critical in any way of him, that means that you want to destroy America

They never really define what saving America means except vague terms such as “taking on the Dims and RINOs” which, by the way, he didn’t do as president

It’s the American people at large, not politicians, that can save America

@LMAO

Yeah,and Santa is going to bring you a new limo filled with  showgirls for Christmas this year.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2023, 07:07:06 pm »
Are you REALLY so ignorant that you  REALLY believe that donating to and partying with  politicians in is the same thing as BEING in politics?

If one donates to a politician, that means he/she supports that politicians platform and are interested and involved in politics. I can assure you I have never sent a dime to a Democrat. And I’m pretty sure you haven’t either.

And before you throw the “he had to do it because he was a New York City businessman” excuse, he donated to many Democrat politicians outside of New York
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 08:21:06 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater