General Category > General Discussion

National Geographic Goofed! So did atheists

<< < (2/5) > >>

ChemEngrMBA:
Famous author and atheist, Ernest Hemingway, said "Every thinking man is an atheist." 
Then he proceeded to blow his brains out with a shotgun.  There's a lesson for atheists, not that they are
interested in learning.

One of the last statements that the atheist George Bernard Shaw said before his death in 1950 was that he had pinned his hopes on atheism, but he had found that atheism did not solve the problems of the world. "The science to which I pinned my faith is bankrupt. Its counsels, which should have established the millennium, have led directly to the suicide of Europe. I believed them once. In their name I helped to destroy the faith of millions. And now they look at me and witness the great tragedy of an atheist who has lost his faith." (Too True to Be Good).

I dreamed of writing a handbook that would be simple, practical, easy to understand, easy to follow. it would tell people how to live--what thoughts and attitudes and philosophies to cultivate, and what pitfalls to avoid in seeking mental health. I attended every symposium it was possible for me to attend and took notes on the wise words of my teachers and of my colleagues who were leaders in their field. And quite by accident I discovered that such a work had already been completed! If you were to take the sum total of all authoritative articles ever written by the most qualified of psychologists and psychiatrists on the subject of mental hygiene--if you were to combine them and refine them and cleave out the excess verbiage if you were to take the whole of the meat and none of the parsley, and if you were to have these unadulterated bits of pure scientific knowledge concisely expressed by the most capable of living poets, you would have an awkward and incomplete summation of the Sermon on the Mount. And it would suffer immeasurably through comparison. For nearly two thousand years the Christian world has been holding in its hands the complete answer to its restless and fruitless yearnings. Here . . . rests the blueprint for successful human life with optimum mental health and contentment.  - A Few Buttons Missing:  The Case Book of a Psychiatrist, by James T Fisher

bigheadfred:
In one of the great ironies, the more science advances, the more it proves the existence of G-d.

MeshugeMikey:

--- Quote from: bigheadfred on March 31, 2023, 12:30:12 am ---In one of the great ironies, the more science advances, the more it proves the existence of G-d.

--- End quote ---

it must be a tad stressful  to be  a cheerleader for nihilistic atheism.

believing so sincerely in nothing ....doesnt seem to bright to me

Sighlass:
We had company today of 20 kids and 6 adults... Christian folks and it was so much fun just playing games and a bonfire. The company was such a delight and uplifted my spirits. Just good folks having clean fun socializing.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Sighlass on March 31, 2023, 05:20:20 am ---We had company today of 20 kids and 6 adults... Christian folks and it was so much fun just playing games and a bonfire. The company was such a delight and uplifted my spirits. Just good folks having clean fun socializing.

--- End quote ---

That's the stuff, right there!  :beer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version