Author Topic: National Geographic Goofed! So did atheists  (Read 1683 times)

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
National Geographic Goofed! So did atheists
« on: March 15, 2023, 03:43:26 pm »
Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. - Religious Affiliation and Suicide Attempt, American Journal of Psychiatry, December, 2004

Atheists claim to have all the answers, but I have all the questions.  If they are so smart, why are 20% of Nobel Prize Laureates of the Jewish faith when its adherents constitute only .2% of the world population; 65% of Laureates are Christians; only about 10% are atheists and theirs are disproportionately in literature, not any science?  Why are they so depressed?  Why are they so bitter?  Why do they marry so much less frequently than people of faith when marriage has scientifically been associated with better mental and physical health compared to remaining single?  Why do they have so few children when the Darwinian Imperative is to maximize offspring? Why don’t they know that high I.Q. is not wisdom (take the Unabomber, please)?

Good things come from ennobling thoughts, from positive and uplifting thinking, from expecting wonderful results which spread across time and the world like waves on the ocean.

Knowledge has at least two and possibly three components to its successful implementation.
1.   Knowing all of the salient facts
2.    Understanding and interpreting them properly and sometimes,
3.    Utilizing them.  Knowing exactly what to do is useless if you fail to utilize them correctly. 

I was seconds from death in a Cessna 152 departing Santa Monica Airport when fatigue and nervousness interfered  with my normal piloting skills in IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) of an incoming ground layer (fog).  Only my last-ditch desperate move saved me from the 96% of pilots who do not survive IMC.  I’m in the 4% of survivors.

Bad things, EvIL things, come from a LIE, which is  the opposite of Scientia, science, truth.  Small LIES may produce less EvIL than big LIEs, but do not let them grow  by feeding them.

I ask our Creator to give me work to do every day to help and encourage others, and while it seemed I did not have enough work, I felt almost unemployed relative to my desired potential, for example  to save someone’s life, things put in motion seem like they are about to overwhelm me with responsibility and wonderful duty.
Encouraged by the Brilliant Message of the late Pastor D. James Kennedy of Florida, that worry is a sin, I am forging ahead with ideas that never before entered my mind.

Do something good every day that you have never done before, if you can. Then you can incorporate that good into your actions again and again in the future, and become more proficient in it, more comfortable with it, and let your light shine like the single candle of St. Francis of Assisi.
Compliment and encourage a stranger, every day.  It costs nothing but accomplishes much, building bridges and fostering brotherhood the world needs now so desperately, as our “science” has far outpaced our humanity.
Does BLM build bridges, promote love and good and harmony?  Does WOKE?  Do the  denial of  *science*, viz., men can become women,  and unborn babies with beating hearts can be murdered?  Clearly the answer is that all these are destructive, EvIL LIEs that are tearing us apart as EvIL doubles down on itself.  The more extreme the LIE, the more damaging its effects, even to the  extent that too much of a good  thing becomes a bad thing, even deadly.  (Woman killed by drinking water.)

The truth is sometimes painful.  Lies can be comforting.
Which do you want to hear?
Good can be perverted by lies into evil.
For example, faith healers, cultists (Jim Jones), charlatans, feminists
A common talking point is “We only believe in one less god than you do.”
We only believe in one less lie than you do.

The most prominent atheist leaders are generally hateful, bitter and angry.  The most prominent religious leaders (the late Billy Graham, D. James Kennedy) are honest, loving and gentle.

Discernment
What is wrong with this page from August 1991 National Geographic?

https://imagetolink.com/ib/0nFlCAmsfN

National Geographic photo turned 180 degrees:

https://imagetolink.com/ib/tajZymLLkS

If you didn't see the mistake, don't feel bad. Neither did 10,000,000 NG readers.
I have a letter acknowledging the mistake but they never published it.

Erroneous statements are usually good faith errors, and they are common.  Bad faith rears its head when an antagonist accuses believers (“Bible thumpers”) of a “lie” when it is only a good faith error.  This is not the case in what I call plausible  lies.  They often come from a source who is well educated and/or well known to the public.
Carl Sagan was both when he penned “If you want to save your child from polio, you can pray or you can inoculate.”  - (Demon Haunted World, page 30) 

Here Sagan offered a false choice, an “either  or” fallacy, in order to ridicule people of faith. He was agnostic.  While some extremists may avoid inoculations, the overwhelming majority get their children proper medical care and pray when and if they get ill, which nobody expects after an inoculation.
Popular and photogenic as he was, Carl Sagan no doubt had most heads wagging, to the left, in condescending agreement over their intellectual superiority to those ignorant Bible thumpers.  Using a plausible lie was cynical, unprofessional, and unscientific.  It is a very common practice by atheists/agnostics. Believers are not so preoccupied with feigning intellectual superiority and tend to focus on ideas.  Quoting atheists as they present their ideas and beliefs is not an ad hominem  fallacy.  It is addressing the issues they have presented.

Leftists display their personal conviction of being smugly superior by:
1.    Calling others “racist” and “homophobes” and “sexist” and “greedy/mean-spirited,” intimating that they themselves are none of these things and are therefore morally superior,
2.   Proclaiming loudly and repeatedly “Black Lives Matter” of recent,
3.   Embracing climate change extremism under the guise of scientific/intellectual superiority,
4.   Embracing Darwinism under the guise of scientific/intellectual superiority,
5.   Driving a Tesla, thus ‘saving the earth,’
6.   Wearing a mask, thus ‘saving lives,’
7.   Denouncing Nature’s God, Christianity, and embracing atheism under the guise of scientific/intellectual superiority.
Will Democrats begin awarding Hero of Amurika Medals to them, with Raspberry Clusters for repeat awards?

That’s like comparing apples and oranges. – Originated About 1889

Apples and Oranges -- A Comparison
by Scott A. Sandford, NASA Ames Research Center, Mountain View, California
We have all been present at discussions (or arguments) in which one of the combatants attempts to clarify or strengthen a point by comparing the subject at hand with another item or situation more familiar to the audience or opponent. More often than not, this stratagem instantly results in the protest that "you're comparing apples and oranges!" This is generally perceived as being a telling blow to the analogy, since it is generally understood that apples and oranges cannot be compared. However, after being the recipient of just such an accusation, it occurred to me that there are several problems with dismissing analogies with the comparing apples and oranges defense.
First, the statement that something is like comparing apples and oranges is a kind of analogy itself. That is, denigrating an analogy by accusing it of comparing apples and oranges is, in and of itself, comparing apples and oranges. More importantly, it is not difficult to demonstrate that apples and oranges can, in fact, be compared (see figure 1).

Figure 1. Granny Smith Apple and Sunkist Orange
Materials and Methods
Both samples were prepared by gently desiccating them in a convection oven at low temperature over the course of several days. The dried samples were then mixed with potassium bromide and ground in a small ball-bearing mill for two minutes. One hundred milligrams of each of the resulting powders were then pressed into a circular pellet having a diameter of 1 cm and a thickness of approximately 1 mm. Spectra were taken at a resolution of 1 cm-1 using a Nicolet 740 FTIR spectrometer. Figure 2 shows a comparison of the 4000-400 cm-1 (2.5-25 mm) infrared transmission spectra of a Granny Smith apple and a Sunkist Navel orange.

Figure. 2

https://imagetolink.com/ib/EgLlyIC8MI

Conclusions
Not only was this comparison easy to make, but it is apparent from the figure that apples and oranges are very similar. Thus, it would appear that the comparing apples and oranges defense should no longer be considered valid. This is a somewhat startling revelation. It can be anticipated to have a dramatic effect on the strategies used in arguments and discussions in the future.
NOTE: This article is included in the book The Best of Annals of Improbable Research
© Copyright 1995 Annals of Improbable Research (AIR)

"Comparing apples and oranges: a randomised prospective study," by James Barone, which appeared in the British Medical Journal in 2000. Here are just a few characteristics:
                                APPLES   ORANGES
GROWN ON FRUIT TREE   Yes        Yes
COLOR OF FRUIT   Depends on variety   orange
FRUIT SKIN TEXTURE        smooth   knobby
VISIBLE SEEDS IN FRUIT   Yes   Depends on variety
MEAN CIRCUMFERENCE OF FRUIT (cm)   25.6   24.4
MEAN DIAMETER OF FRUIT (cm)   7.9   7.6
MEAN WEIGHT OF FRUIT (g)   340   357
CAN BE EATEN                      Yes   Yes
SWEETNESS                         2+   2+
FIBER IN A LARGE FRUIT (g)   4.5   2.4
CAN BE JUICED                      Yes   Yes
CALORIES (per 8 oz. serving juice)   117   112
POTASSIUM (mg, per 8 oz. serving juice)   295   496
VITAMIN C (mg, per 8 oz. serving juice)   103   124
FOLATE (mcg, per 8 oz. serving juice)     0   74
[Smithsonianmag.com]

The pot calling the kettle black is a saying which means “to criticize someone for a fault you also possess.”
 Thomas Shelton’s 1620 translation of Don Quixote contained the line, “You are like what is said that the frying-pan said to the kettle, ‘Avant, black-browes.’ ”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3fy0RYpU8Q

Creative people are extremely rare.  There is no relationship between being smart and being wise.  There is no quick pathway from smart to wise. Some people are intellectually impaired and are wise.  It’s the arrogance that brings up the block. There isn’t a straight line between being intelligent and being wise. If the intellects would drop their moral superiority, then this divide between the elite and the working class would resolve.  They can’t compete outside the intellectual realm and that makes them very bitter.  It’s very annoying to people with an IQ of 160 that they can be completely useless but it happens a lot. -  Jordan Peterson
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 04:05:12 pm by ChemEngrMBA »
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline MeshugeMikey

• the anti trump
Re: National Geographic Goofed! So did atheists
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 02:52:58 am »
 atheists think that theyre a giant clump of meaningless cells....no wonder they get so hideously depressed.

Thank you

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 01:30:48 pm »
atheists think that theyre a giant clump of meaningless cells....no wonder they get so hideously depressed.

Thank you

Succinct, accurate, damning, tragic.  Well done, Friend. 

http://Irrational-Atheism.blogspot.com

The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 01:26:34 pm »
I woke up this morning thinking about my journey into a very hateful website of atheists.  I went there after watching atheists breaking furniture and windows in every religious website I ever saw.  Atheists call their mayhem "free speech." But when I go to them with "free speech," I'm always banned as a "troll." See the difference?  Wordplay.  Name-calling, you racist bigot Bible-thumping, anti-science buffoon.

But back to the atheist website which shall remain nameless.  I was beset by scores of haters, all attacking in dozens of different ways.  Answer one and three more assault you with counters that they DEMAND you answer or you are.... fill in the blank.
I pointed out the patent unfairness and suggested that they select their best and brightest and I would debate him one on one while everyone else sat silently and watched. 

They picked the owner of the website, an impoverished used car salesman, since dead and gone to, well...
He charged headlong:  "Choose your topic.  I will debate you in any topic you wish!"

My topic:  "YOUR hatefulness and profanity, which are counterproductive, unintelligent and unscientific."

He was dumbfounded.  "Oh no, not that, some other topic."
I was insistent.  "You said I could choose the topic.  I did."

He could not and would not defend his egregious, bitter, profane, vulgar conduct.  He called an end to the debate before it began,
slinking off without any rejoinder except to attack me instead of rebut the charges.

He died shortly thereafter, leaving his wife in poverty and asking for contributions from the atheist Leftists, who are renowned for giving very little if anything.  Who Really Cares by Professor Arthur C. Brooks.

Offline MeshugeMikey

• the anti trump
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 08:09:39 pm »
Succinct, accurate, damning, tragic.  Well done, Friend. 

Thank you

athiests MISS so very very VERY much

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 12:21:12 am »
Famous author and atheist, Ernest Hemingway, said "Every thinking man is an atheist." 
Then he proceeded to blow his brains out with a shotgun.  There's a lesson for atheists, not that they are
interested in learning.

One of the last statements that the atheist George Bernard Shaw said before his death in 1950 was that he had pinned his hopes on atheism, but he had found that atheism did not solve the problems of the world. "The science to which I pinned my faith is bankrupt. Its counsels, which should have established the millennium, have led directly to the suicide of Europe. I believed them once. In their name I helped to destroy the faith of millions. And now they look at me and witness the great tragedy of an atheist who has lost his faith." (Too True to Be Good).

I dreamed of writing a handbook that would be simple, practical, easy to understand, easy to follow. it would tell people how to live--what thoughts and attitudes and philosophies to cultivate, and what pitfalls to avoid in seeking mental health. I attended every symposium it was possible for me to attend and took notes on the wise words of my teachers and of my colleagues who were leaders in their field. And quite by accident I discovered that such a work had already been completed! If you were to take the sum total of all authoritative articles ever written by the most qualified of psychologists and psychiatrists on the subject of mental hygiene--if you were to combine them and refine them and cleave out the excess verbiage if you were to take the whole of the meat and none of the parsley, and if you were to have these unadulterated bits of pure scientific knowledge concisely expressed by the most capable of living poets, you would have an awkward and incomplete summation of the Sermon on the Mount. And it would suffer immeasurably through comparison. For nearly two thousand years the Christian world has been holding in its hands the complete answer to its restless and fruitless yearnings. Here . . . rests the blueprint for successful human life with optimum mental health and contentment.  - A Few Buttons Missing:  The Case Book of a Psychiatrist, by James T Fisher
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 01:20:10 am by ChemEngrMBA »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 12:30:12 am »
In one of the great ironies, the more science advances, the more it proves the existence of G-d.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline MeshugeMikey

• the anti trump
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 02:55:49 am »
In one of the great ironies, the more science advances, the more it proves the existence of G-d.

it must be a tad stressful  to be  a cheerleader for nihilistic atheism.

believing so sincerely in nothing ....doesnt seem to bright to me

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 05:20:20 am »
We had company today of 20 kids and 6 adults... Christian folks and it was so much fun just playing games and a bonfire. The company was such a delight and uplifted my spirits. Just good folks having clean fun socializing.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 05:57:35 am »
We had company today of 20 kids and 6 adults... Christian folks and it was so much fun just playing games and a bonfire. The company was such a delight and uplifted my spirits. Just good folks having clean fun socializing.

That's the stuff, right there!  :beer:

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2023, 12:36:54 am »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2023, 01:28:15 am »
God has guided my entire life. Without God, I would certainly not be alive today.
I thank God before every meal. I'm not sure about harps, angels, pearly gates, and all that.
But I know that God has led me specifically to where I am today, through all the good and through all the bad.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2023, 10:39:59 am »
God has guided my entire life. Without God, I would certainly not be alive today.
I thank God before every meal. I'm not sure about harps, angels, pearly gates, and all that.
But I know that God has led me specifically to where I am today, through all the good and through all the bad.

He who honors me, I will honor. 1 Samuel 2:30

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2023, 12:09:44 pm »

@bigheadfred agree.

I went through a period of doubt in college. I think a lot of kids do. But then the more I pondered it, I realized that G-d exists, because I couldn’t imagine a world without some kind of higher deity.

This is a very nice thread for Easter and Passover.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 12:10:58 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2023, 08:58:26 pm »
It is a common story for atheists to realize the error of their empty ways.
Professor C.S. Lewis set out to prove that there is no God.  He studied and studied and the more he studied, the more
conclusive it was apparent that atheism has no basis. So he converted to Christianity and wrote the book Mere Christianity.

The overwhelming majority of Nobel Laureates in sciences are Christians or Jews, with almost NO atheists.
So much for the specious claims of rationalism and science by atheists.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2023, 09:02:23 pm »
Happy Easter! @ChemEngrMBA
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2023, 02:35:26 am »
Happy Easter! @ChemEngrMBA

Thank you kindly, Friend @bigheadfred.  Same to you and your family.

Poor atheists.  Nothing to celebrate at Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving. 

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2023, 02:57:51 am »
There is an annoying repeating commercial where I am which features a preacher, I think it is Franklin Graham. The commercial opens with, 'When you die ... are you going to heaven or not? Now you can know for sure.' Just do this or that thing and you will know for sure.

To my religious training, this is pure blasphemy. My first religious training is that no one knows "for sure". We all fall short.

Saying, 'I know for sure that I will enter heaven when I die.' - is the epitome of 'Pride', one of the seven deadly sins.
Humility is what is required ... not misguided confidence.

Just a silly pet peeve of mine.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2023, 11:59:49 pm »
There is an annoying repeating commercial where I am which features a preacher, I think it is Franklin Graham. The commercial opens with, 'When you die ... are you going to heaven or not? Now you can know for sure.' Just do this or that thing and you will know for sure.

To my religious training, this is pure blasphemy. My first religious training is that no one knows "for sure". We all fall short.

Saying, 'I know for sure that I will enter heaven when I die.' - is the epitome of 'Pride', one of the seven deadly sins.
Humility is what is required ... not misguided confidence.

Just a silly pet peeve of mine.

Let me advocate for following Scriptures.  I'm sure you're all right with that.
Jesus Christ died for our sins.  He promised forgiveness and eternal life for every believer. That means you have to trust in Him and follow the Commandments.  You can't sin continually and expect salvation as a "believer" for you can tell a tree by its fruit.

So trusting in your Savior and having ultimate confidence in HIS WORD can be interpreted as "pride," or as faith and trust.
There are many instances in the Scriptures of where faith and trust have been rewarded.  Abraham was about to slay his only son on orders from Above. As he raised his knife, an angel told him to stop.   He was ordered to sin to teach him the lesson of obedience and trust.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2023, 11:49:43 pm »

If any of you have a powerful addition to my website cited above, please give me your input, either publicly or by PM.
Thank you in advance.  Your wonderfulness will be surely be rewarded.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2023, 12:39:39 pm »
Precisely.

But then, I did not become a scientist to disprove the existence of God, rather, to better understand the wonders He has wrought.  And I discovered that the more I learn, the less I know. Every answer brings more questions. How delightful!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 12:40:40 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2023, 06:21:00 pm »
Precisely.

But then, I did not become a scientist to disprove the existence of God, rather, to better understand the wonders He has wrought.  And I discovered that the more I learn, the less I know. Every answer brings more questions. How delightful!

Joe that is quite an answer.  You will delight in my book or I will buy it back from you. 

"There are only two kinds of people.  One kind thinks nothing is a miracle and the other kind thinks everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

"The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." - Eden Phillpotts

My book features twenty-six chapters of miracles and magical things which everyone takes for granted.