Author Topic: How Many B-21 Raider Stealth Bombers Are Enough?  (Read 334 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How Many B-21 Raider Stealth Bombers Are Enough?
« on: March 14, 2023, 02:21:38 pm »
How Many B-21 Raider Stealth Bombers Are Enough?

ByPhilip HandlemanPublished1 hour ago
B-21 RaiderB-21 Raider

Editor’s Note: This is a multi-part series looking at the B-21 Raider. You can find part I here, part II here, part III here, and part IV here.

Currently, the U.S. has a strategic bomber force of just 141 crewed platforms, roughly half of which are B-52 Stratofortresses that date back to the 1960s. This is the oldest and smallest U.S. bomber force since the Air Force was established as an independent service in 1947. It gets worse — as the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies has pointed out, only 59 bombers are estimated to be mission-capable on any given day.

Even if the Air Force buys 100 B-21 Raiders, which is said to be the minimum quantity under consideration, the overall bomber force is not going to grow appreciably based on the current bomber roadmap. This is because the B-2 Spirits and the 1980s-era supersonic but non-stealthy B-1 Lancers will be phased out under the roadmap, probably by some point in the mid-2030s. The U.S. would be left with the 100 B-21s along with 75 modernized B-52s for a sum total of 175 crewed or optionally-crewed strategic bombers — just 34 more than today’s abysmally low number.

A Bomber Force Can Thin Quickly in War
Although the B-21s will be more capable in most respects than the bombers that came before, allowing for fewer numbers to achieve greater effects, the war in Ukraine has starkly demonstrated the importance of mass and replenishment. The U.S. has strained to meet Ukraine’s rapacious demand for Javelin anti-tank missiles and Stinger anti-aircraft missiles, among other weapons, due to limited stockpiles and stilted production.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/03/b-21-are-enough-being-built/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 02:22:31 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: How Many B-21 Raider Stealth Bombers Are Enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 07:34:55 pm »
In WWII we built over 97,000 bombers of all types.

Of the 'heavy' bombers:

B-17: 12,731
B-24: 18,493
B-29: 3,970

Those numbers do not include the B-26, B-25, and Dive Bombers and torpedo planes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 08:36:13 pm »
In WWII we built over 97,000 bombers of all types.

Of the 'heavy' bombers:

B-17: 12,731
B-24: 18,493
B-29: 3,970

Those numbers do not include the B-26, B-25, and Dive Bombers and torpedo planes.

Yes, but we did that, in part, at the expense of not producing any autos or appliances for civilian consumption.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 10:12:42 pm »
"How Many B-21 Raider Stealth Bombers Are Enough?"

I'll play:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 11:23:38 am »
Yes, but we did that, in part, at the expense of not producing any autos or appliances for civilian consumption.
My intention was to point out the stark contrast to the number of B-1 (104) and B-2 (22) Bombers built, because sometimes quantity has a quality all its own. If everything in the arsenal is a one-off, it's going to get expensive.

We sure built a lot of tanks, ships, trucks, and other aircraft, even Singer was making 1911s and sewing machines were for the war effort.
We did that without one robot.

Virtually everything was rationed from fuel to tires.  As for major appliances, many parts or the country couldn't have used them anyway: electrification did not hit some areas until the late 50s.

And I must note there were not many aluminum automobiles running around, then or now.
Since the cafe standards went on, there seems like there was more metal in a 1960 front clip than the whole car body now.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 11:25:03 am »
"How Many B-21 Raider Stealth Bombers Are Enough?"

I'll play:
If we look at the number of B-1s produced (104), and then the B-2s (22), My bet is they won't build ten of them.

C S Lewis