Author Topic: Illinois governor signs off on mandatory paid leave ‘for any reason’  (Read 731 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Illinois governor signs off on mandatory paid leave ‘for any reason’
The Hill, Mar 14, 2023

Illinois is now the third state in the nation to require employers to offer workers paid time off “for any reason.”

Illinois workers will be able to use their earned time off for any reason once they have worked for 90 days and will not have to provide a reason for their absence. 

Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) signed a bill outlining the changes to paid time off into law on Monday. It will go into effect next year.

Maine and Nevada are the only two other states that have passed similar legislation, but both pieces of legislation have limits. 

Nevada’s law exempts businesses will less than 50 employees from offering paid time off for any reason and Maine’s law only applies to employers with more than 10 workers. 

Illinois’s law will apply to every employee, including domestic workers, working for an employer in the state. 

However, the law does not apply to independent contractors and employees protected by a collective bargaining agreement in construction and the parcel delivery industry. 

The new law will also not apply to workers in Chicago and Cook County, which both have paid sick leave ordinances in place.

“Working families face so many challenges, and it’s been my mission to alleviate those burdens in every way I can,” Pritzker said in a statement. “Employers benefit from allowing employees to tend to the urgent personal matters of their lives. Workers’ productivity increases, and they often gain greater passion for their job when they can manage the stresses they face outside work.” 

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/3899890-illinois-governor-signs-off-on-mandatory-paid-leave-for-any-reason/

Offline Kamaji

“Employers benefit from allowing employees to tend to the urgent personal matters of their lives. ...."

If that statement were true, then the legislation would not be necessary.

Online mountaineer

“Working families face so many challenges, and it’s been my mission to alleviate those burdens in every way I can,” Pritzker said in a statement.
Not content almost to destroy small businesses with a Covid lockdown, Fat Shitzker vows to put the final nail in the coffin.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I hate this man...I was really hoping we could get rid of him in 2022....but NO...thanks No. Illinois...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Not content almost to destroy small businesses with a Covid lockdown, Fat Shitzker vows to put the final nail in the coffin.

Again,
The Curley Effect
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Millee

"Illinois workers will be able to use their earned time off"

So, they're not allowed to use their earned time off now?  What am I missing??