Author Topic: Why the US Navy wants to retire eight ships early  (Read 120 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why the US Navy wants to retire eight ships early
« on: March 14, 2023, 01:18:27 pm »
Why the US Navy wants to retire eight ships early
By Megan Eckstein
 Mar 13, 03:58 PM

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Navy intends to decommission 11 ships in fiscal 2024, including eight ahead of their planned end of service life — fewer than the 24 it requested to decommission in its FY23 submission, but still likely to reignite debate on Capitol Hill.

Those set for early retirement as part of a divestment strategy include three Whidbey Island-class amphibious dock landing ships the Navy tried to retire last year; three Ticonderoga-class cruisers, one of which the Navy tried to retire last year; and two Independence-variant littoral combat ships that would be just eight and nine years old at decommissioning.

The Navy would lose a cumulative 54 years of service life from these ships under this plan.

The service also plans to decommission two additional cruisers and one attack submarine that have reached the end of their planned life.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2023/03/13/why-the-us-navy-wants-to-retire-eight-ships-early/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Why the US Navy wants to retire eight ships early
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 01:20:27 pm »
I'm beginning to think the military is using capital equipment cutbacks as way to reduce the need for personnel and, therefore, recruiting. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson